1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

letting cat outside again after 2 weeks at a friends house

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rainbowdrop86, Aug 29, 2011.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

hi all. hope someone can help me. have just returned from a 2 week holiday, and my cat stayed at a friends, and didnt go out at all. Have got him home today and he's obviously desperate to go out. Just worried that he'll have got used to the surroundings at my friends, and wont come back. I know they say to keep them in for a bit when you move house, so should i treat it like that
    hope someone knows and can help

2. When my cats used to go on holiday to their Nanny and Grandads I just used to let them out as normal when they returned. You could try letting him go when he is starving!Much more likely to come back for his dinner then,

3. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

thanks for that, went out with him for 15mins earlier. was starting to go a bit too far away so i picked him up to bring him in and ive never heard him meoww so much!!!!

4. When we moved to our new house 2 years ago, we were advised to keep our 3 cats in for 2 weeks and then only let them out attached to leads. 2 of our cats are house cats but the third one is really independent and loves the outdoors. After 5 days, he became aggressive which is not like him at all and started trying to bite and scratch. My stepdad let him out and my mum was convinced that he would try and find our old house and get run over in the process as our old house is across town. He returned home after 4 hours so I wouldn't worry about it.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Best way to keep a cat near the house is to not feed it before you let it out. We've used that ploy if they were due at the vets or the cattery later in the morning and needed rounding up easily. I'd suggest letting it out first thing before its brekkie.

6. 2004ajd

2004ajd New commenter

Best way to keep tabs on him is to put him in a fleece[​IMG] Only joking, couldn't resist.
    Seriously though he should be fine by the morning. I know that our cat was really put out that we dared to go on holiday and stayed out all night just to worry us. He's home now and wondering what the fuss was about. 24hrs should be plenty of time for him to know that he's home.