1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Letting baby crawl outside?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by whistle4it, Apr 15, 2011.

1. whistle4it

whistle4it New commenter

I might get slated by some here, but my son is 16 months old, very heavy and very bored! With the weather so nice, and him not being able to walk yet, he either has to be carried (ouch) or in buggy (cry) when we go outside.
    Can I just let him crawl about on the patio and grass, or too dodgy? We are trying to get our garden all lovely and want him to be able to join us outdoors. x

2. whistle4it

whistle4it New commenter

I might get slated by some here, but my son is 16 months old, very heavy and very bored! With the weather so nice, and him not being able to walk yet, he either has to be carried (ouch) or in buggy (cry) when we go outside.
    Can I just let him crawl about on the patio and grass, or too dodgy? We are trying to get our garden all lovely and want him to be able to join us outdoors. x

3. I have a waterproof all-in one suit which I let her crawl outside it, it is pretty big and covers her hands as well- so you couild get something like that if you are worried. I love the outdoors and want her to explore it too- no harm has come of it. Keep on eye out as she does try to eat everything- but I really see no problem.

4. Oh goodness, why ever not?! Of course you should let him crawl outside, do be aware of him putting stones in his mouth and obviously make sure there's no poo lying around (our neighbours' cats regularly poop in our garden, grr!) but I see no problem with letting him explore. He'll love it!

5. whistle4it

whistle4it New commenter

Thanks ladies...ooooh, where did you get little suit from?

6. The suit was from a local shop but it is a Regatta one, you may be able to get one from ebay. It is fab as she can go out in any weather. My nephew has a thick, wool line one but mine is a thin one.

7. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

As long as you watch LO it'll be fine. It's probably good for them to be close to nature and get a little bit dirty. We don't havee any grass in our garden, just patio so will be buying some of those large foam mats that click together for LO to play on- but she's only 4 months so nowhere near crawling yet. Blanket or rug on the lawn would be fine.

8. I've got a waterproof suit that is literally just a raincoat with legs that zips up from crotch to neck, and it's called a "puddle jumper" (Love it!) from Mothercare!

9. My lo is 13 months and has really enjoyed crawling around outside for the past couple of weeks. I just make sure she has "play" clothes on that i don't mind getting ruined on the knees as she crawls through mud, puddles, flower beds, etc. We went to the park the other day and allowed her to crawl around there too, she climbed the steps to the slide and before i knew it she was sliding down! She has such a lot of fun that I take her outside every time she looks bored/tired/whingy/clingy, as long as it's not raining.