1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letters of application vs any other information

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by robyn147, Jun 5, 2011.

1. I've been applying for a few jobs recently and haven't heard anything - not unusual. Then I recently got an application pack which emphasised the importance of the letter of application. I have been taking great care to complete the "other information" section - Why are you applying for this job - which is a part of the main application pack.
    How does this differ from the letter of application? Should I be doing a separate letter explaining why I am applying for the job or should this be in the "Other information" section?
    Any advice is welcome.

2. Despite the user name I am a serving head and if I didn't receive a separate letter alongside the main application pack I would be very worried!!! and would almost certainly be sold on other applications.
    You are given this opportunity to 'sell yourself' !! Use it ! Tell the Head of the school what is great about you, how you are different from everyone else, what are you goingto bring to the school.
    You really should have been given advice to seize this opportunity. The main application is useful but it really doesn't tell me all about you as a person and prospective staff member.
    So YES get a letter together telling the Head where you have been teaching, what you can bring to the school and who you are. Some Heads may think you don't really want the job if you don't make this personal to the job spec too.Take every opportunity to STAND OUT and I don't think you can do that in the main application alone!
    Hope this helps - and if you need more advice just ask!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo Robyn!
    Over on the JobSeekers Forum there is loads of advice about writing an effective application. And now's a good time to look at it, as now that the May 31 deadline is past,schools will be advertising vacancies that will need to be filled for September.
    Your question is asked quite a lot on different parts of the TES site. Here's a thread that started on Teaching Overseas with the same query!
    Are they also expecting a letter of application?
    The advice in the JobSeekers Forum has helped a lot of people
    to get interviews
    Dear Theo...
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    to impress Headteachers
    taking Theo's Advice
    and to get jobs:
    Dear Theo - I got the job
    Dear Theo - I got the job! Everyone else - keep going!
    Dear Theo - Great news!

So pop over to JobSeekers to get some help in getting that job!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

4. I have recently been involved in the recruitment of a head and and NQT (I'm a head BTW)
    The NQTs applications were MUCH better then the heads. The best NQT's had filled in the main county application form, then copied the person spec into word and wrote under each heading how they fulfilled the criteria (ie doing the shortlisting for the appointment panel) and included a seperate letter, no more than A4, firstly thanking the chair/head for considering their application, why you want this particular job, then a short selection about their philosophy, then something interesting about them (eg been travelling, voluntary work, unusual sport or hobby).
    Good luck

5. [​IMG]
    separate tut tut