1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

letters and sounds

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by dizzyhead, Apr 22, 2012.

1. hi all! Need advice on how you teach letters and sounds in your settings? Do your children practice letter formation, name writing directly? we use letters and sounds, all the children are on phase 1, that includes discriminating between sounds. I have children ranging from 3 to 4 and half the older ones, surely they need explicit teaching of sounds and letter formation. I have been in nursery for 1 week, iam an experienced KS1 teacher. I will appreciate all help. Many thanks in advance.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Nursery children?

3. Hi. I have taught nursery for a while. We assess children who are ready to practise name writing because they are already attempting it, or have good fine motor skills. We then encourage them to come and have a go copying from their name card, and we give them one-to-one or one-to-two support so that we can really get to grips with letter formation. It's time consuming, and you have to consider time mangement and outcomes to check that your curriculum remains well balanced. Otherwise, we encourage children to find their name cards and have a go, and to write their names on work. Unless you can support them the formation is unlikely to be correct but at least they are using a pencil and becoming familiar with the shapes of the letters. If children are well advanced, already writing their names correctly and good on hearing sounds we encourage and provide resources for some very simple basic writing of captions etc in the writing area (well, they are there for everyone, but we support at the different levels). We have small differentiated groups for Letters and Sounds activities and for PSRN activities, working for about 10 to 15 minutes. The activities depend on what the children are ready for, so it could be nursery rhyme singing with one group, I-Spy using initial sounds with another group, and Silly Soup using sounds and letters with the third. Focus activities and continuous provision will also give opportunities to support children's discrimination of sounds, letter recognition and handwriting skills.

4. http://www.phonicsinternational.com/trs.html
    Some of these free resources might be of interest to nursery teachers.
    There are, for example, hollow letter shapes, some simple resources for raising awareness of the alphabet letters and sounds and the beginnings of blending, segmenting and letter formation.
    I think three to four year olds is a good age to 'raise awareness' of both upper and lower case letter shapes and how they are code for the sounds.
    Where children have more complex code in their names, you can personalise your comments such as this:
    "Charlie you have such an interesting name. In your special name, these letters [point under the C and h together] are code for the /ch/ sound that you can hear at the beginning of your name."

5. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

Hi, I teach nursery too. All children are on phase 1, but i also have a group of my HA children who also have teaching for Phase 2 each week. With these chidlren i am taching letter formation which is have a fantastic impact on their writing. These chidlren now form most of their letters correctly and can write simple cvc words and phonetically spell trickier words. For the rest of my chidlren, we teach formation for their name. EVERY morning from the day their started they have to sign in by writing their name on a white board copying from their name card. Then throughout the year we correct a letter at a time so that each sound is formaed correct. This is done daily and takes 5/10 informal minutes each morning. Then we have a specific name wriitng activity on a friday which the chidlren love ( this could be on paper or sand or foam or jelly)! they can now (95% OF them) write their first name, in some instances their second with all letters formed correct. Even if its only 5/6 letters out of the 26 they are forming correct, at least its 5/6 the reception teachers dont have to worry about!

6. Thank you to all i find all your comments very useful, i shall carry out some more asessments with them this week and then see if my HA children are ready to move onto phase 2.