1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letters and Sounds / spelling beyond Yr 2

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by pinkpebble, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Hi

Can anyone help. We teach phonics in Reception and Key Stage One, using Letters and Sounds but would like conisitency in strategies in to Key Stage Two. We are a Primary School and I am Literacy Co-ordinator and would like planning that would continue on from our Infant Teaching but would support our Key Stage Two colleagues.

Many Thanks

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If you are using L&S then the Support for Spelling document is the continuation into KS2
    Alternatively you might want to look at Get Spelling

3. Thanks Msz,

How do I get hold of these?

4. Msz

You can download Support for Spelling here (you'll notice the Y2 prog is the same as L&S)
    I don't think a hard copy is available from the DfE now but you may have one in school.
    Get Spelling is published by OUP

5. I don’t think that this is really possible, although SP evangelists claim that it is. The teaching of spelling in KS1 is mainly about teaching children the dominant (or most used) English spelling patterns. It deals mainly with the regular aspects of English spelling. After that, learning to spell becomes more and more a matter of memorising word by word spellings which don’t follow the main patterns - http://englishspellingproblems.blogspot.com/2010/11/english-spelling-rules.html .
    Because children’s mnemonic abilities vary greatly, the progress which they make with spelling starts to diverge more and more : some spell brilliantly without much effort, others continue to make the same mistakes over and over. So the teaching of spelling beyond KS1 has to become much more tailored to individual needs.

6. Yes I do agree, but a program would be great to follow on and also for children who struggle with spelling, will need consistency of approach by Teachers/TAs. Thanks

7. Msz, where is Get spelling from?

8. Msz

Get Spelling is from Oxford Union Press [​IMG]

9. I agree. A programme can help with consistency. I think that 'Support for Spelling' follows on very well from 'Letters and Sounds'. Granted, in KS1, spelling is mainly about phonological objecives, whereas in KS2, the objectives are mainly morphological, but I think the transition between the two is managed very well in 'Support for Spelling'. In terms of a consistent approach, the teaching sequence in 'Support for Spelling' is the same as that in 'Letters and Sounds'. (Revisit- Teach / Model- Practise - Apply). The only difference is that once children reach KS2, this sequence takes place over a longer time period. (Eg two weeks rather than one session). There's also no reason why, instead of seeing the 'Support for Spelling' objectives as Year group and termly objectives that they couldn't simply be seen as a progressive set of objectives that children could work towards at their own rate, helping those who struggle with spelling and providing a consistent, whole school approach. I like it anyway!

10. Have you looked at Phonics International as a follow-on programme?