1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letters and Sounds question

Discussion in 'Primary' started by katherine18, Mar 17, 2017.

1. katherine18

katherine18 New commenter

Hi, we have just started using Letters and Sounds (we are in Australia), and I am trying to piece together an overview of the order we will teach it in. I have never used it, so have some questions for the wise UK teachers in this group! Hoping someone can shed some light!
    1. Doing the first set of sounds, s a t p, do you start teaching blending and segmenting? If not, in which set do you start teaching blending and segmenting? Seems like you could get going with 'sat', 'pat' etc...
    2. Are you teaching high frequency words, independent of tricky words and decodable words? Meaning do they get any special attention? Or are they taught incidentally, amongst the decodable words?
    3. In Phase 3, when you start teaching the vowel digraphs e.g. ai, ee, igh, oa do you teach them in a group or in isolation? Have you grouped the vowel digraphs differently (e.g. r controlled vowels together) or left the grouping together?
    4. How quickly do you introduce the tricky words? Letters and Sounds is quite slow - do you go at that pace?
    5. Phase 5 seems to go on forever, do you just skip to the alternative spellings or go through each of the new letter sounds etc?
    Thanks in advance!

2. katherine18

Can anyone help with this? Sorry it's questions not question!

3. Bumblebee435

Bumblebee435 New commenter

Have a look around the Phonics Play website, they have suggested daily planning which is similar to Letters and Sounds

http://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/Planning.html

I adapt to the needs of my class. I go at the pace of my class. I cut phase 5 short after the first few weeks of it, but spent longer on other areas they needed.

4. katherine18

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

1.Once you've taught the first set of sounds you should teach blending and segmenting each lesson
    2.HFW (Tricky words if you prefer) are taught in exactly the same way as any other word ...the children are taught how to decode them so you will need to teach and explain the part of the word that makes it "tricky" at this stage (contains spellings for the sound that they don't know yet). It's very important to remember that HFW does mean they are taught as wholes/sight words.
    3. If you are using Letters and Sounds I'd suggest following the order
    4.rushing would be counter productive they need to skills and knowledge to decode the words.
    5.Personally I'd include a great deal more than is in Letters and Sounds skipping ahead is going to negatively impact on reading and spelling ability.

Can I ask why Letters and Sounds and not a quality programme?

6. katherine18

Thanks @Msz - this is a great help!

2. "t's very important to remember that HFW does mean they are taught as wholes/sight words." Do you mean does not mean they are taught as wholes/sight words? I am a bit confused on this one.

re. quality programme, Letters and Sounds was what I was pointed in the direction of. What programmes do you suggest that use Letters and Sounds? What are the popular ones in the UK?

thank you - so appreciated!

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Yes it should be does not ...sorry
    They should be taught as you would any other word ...decode through the word.

Letters and Sounds isn't a programme it's a DfE publication as such it doesn't have any resources and is very basic in its content. Combine that with schools using those stupid phases for setting (something never intended) effectively causing barriers to progress

8. katherine18

Wonderful, thanks @Msz