1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letters and Sounds Phase 1

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by hyssop_puppy, Jan 26, 2012.

1. The different aspects of Phase 1 sort of build up to the higher order of linking sounds to those sounds in words in oral blending and segmenting. But Phase 1 isn't so much a scheme to be followed in order. And it is supposed to be revisited regularly alongside the other Phases.

2. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

Ah ok; I'm in a nursery and wondering how the best way to 'do' phonics is; we have two or three children who can identify initial sounds and the others are not there yet?

3. May2

May2 Established commenter

As the previous poster said they are not meant to be done in any order but all aspects should be covered. A lot of things are often done normally in a nursery anyway, singing songs and rhymes moving to the beat etc. I tend to leave aspect 7, oral blending and segmenting until they have some awareness of the phonic sounds and so am not doing them generally with the whole class yet. However we do a 'sound' of the week so emphasize a sound by bringing things for the sound box each week and the children take home the sound to practise.
    If I have children that are confidently recognising all the individual sounds already then I may extend this in their play by sounding words for them to blend, e.g. can you put this in the b-i-n please and get them to think of blending. Usually others begin to catch on as well. I have one child way ahead of the others who is working on the reception blending words and is at the beginning of reading now. Depending on the class, we carry on with all aspects but in their last term of Nursery we sometimes have a group who I will work separately with, who are all ready for more blending and segmenting.

4. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

That's really helpful thank you! It sounds like we are doing the right sort of things; singing rhymes; pointing out when things rhyme or have the same starting sounds, we have self registration for name recognition and do a group time every now and then on an activity from L&S like a listening walk or sound lotto; just to need to make sure we are extending the more able; love the b-i-n idea!

5. In our Nursery the teacher introduces letter sounds with Jolly Phonics songs.