1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letters and Sounds Phase 1 in Nursery

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Complicated_Bear, May 25, 2011.

1. Thank you very much! My address is sarah@blurryfox.com

I know the activities in the book are pretty self explanatory anyway, but I have been asked to embellish on them to support some of the younger or less experienced members of our team. Would really appreciate having a look at yours! Thank you again.

2. Sorry for the delay!!

3. No worries, I hope you don't think I was being rude! I'm sure like everyone else you're extremely busy, was just worried about this being lost way down the messages [​IMG]

4. No not like everyone else!! Have retired from teaching to look after my sister and it,s bliss!!

5. Sounds lovely...hope your sister is ok though...
    Thank you for the planning. Can I ask, was that for reception or nursery? I've only been doing one activity a day rather than 3, but some of my children are just 3...

6. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

No because I tend to do 2/3 aspects at the same time over each half term/ term and mix and match. I save the last aspect til the summer term. I don't believe in writing down planning for the sake of it, but I've been teaching this age for years, so I suppose it might be more helpful if you are less experienced. I think the format you used is more appropriate for when you start learning sounds in reception. Phase 1 is more about listening skills and tuning in their ears ready for reception. Lots of games etc.
    I do use a medium term overview which I got from the resources section on here, which has picked out the most useful activities and has the objectives. It does have a time frame on it too, but I dont tend to follow that. It is more so that if anyone asks I can say I am following aspects xyz this term, these are the activities I may use and these are the objectives. ie more for other people than myself. I cant remember who wrote them but I am sure if you search for phase 1 planning you will find it.

7. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I have just tried to find it on resources but cant so if you want it message me your email and I will try and send it if you want. I have also seen some planning in resources which uses revisit etc etc which looks good and may be good for TAs, though some of it is stating the obvious such as remind about good sitting. I object to having to write that much detail, but would for ofsted or lesson obs.

8. Hi, sorry for the delay in replying, it was a very busy week at work (it's a private daycare nursery so no half term for us), and this weekend I have been decorating (not my favourite job in the world) and babysitting.
    The medium term plan that you talk about sounds very useful, and possibly just the thing I'm looking for. I think the short term ones you mentioned with the revisit part etc must be the ones I found on here which was where I adapted my original planning format from, but like you I object to writing in that much detail (although I have been writing in more detail than I would if it were just for me, but in our team are a mixture of levels and experience, from myself as a qualified teacher with teaching experience, down to newly qualified level 2 nursery nurses, and also unqualified nursery assistants, and a mixture inbetween.

Would love to see the medium term plan if that's ok, even if just for inspiration. My email address is sarah@blurryfox.com
    Thank you :)

Sarah