1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

letters and sounds phase 1. How, when, where? etc...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by snickerpuss, Feb 25, 2012.

1. snickerpuss

snickerpuss New commenter

Hi,
    I'm an NQT who has just started a years maternity cover in a childrens centre nursery. My inherited timetable has letters and sounds activities 3 times a week as a whole class carpet session as a 5 - 10 minute feeder into story time.
    I have some lively characters in my class. Sitting still and taking turns is not a strong point, which is something I am working on, but at the moment I cannot see how teaching letters and sounds this way can be effective. There are up to 35 children on the carpet.
    I want to start doing the activities as focus groups but I have no quiet areas (or even hidden corners) for such groups.
    Basically I just want to hear how other teachers planand teach letters and sound activities. How many children in a group? Are they ability groupings? How you deal with distractions? All information wanted!
    Thanks.

2. snickerpuss

snickerpuss New commenter

Hi,
    I'm an NQT who has just started a years maternity cover in a childrens centre nursery. My inherited timetable has letters and sounds activities 3 times a week as a whole class carpet session as a 5 - 10 minute feeder into story time.
    I have some lively characters in my class. Sitting still and taking turns is not a strong point, which is something I am working on, but at the moment I cannot see how teaching letters and sounds this way can be effective. There are up to 35 children on the carpet.
    I want to start doing the activities as focus groups but I have no quiet areas (or even hidden corners) for such groups.
    Basically I just want to hear how other teachers planand teach letters and sound activities. How many children in a group? Are they ability groupings? How you deal with distractions? All information wanted!
    Thanks.

3. I certainly don't think phase one should be taught in the way you describe. It is not heirarchical and lots of it happens incidentally. Cheshire do a great handbook for Phase One but I cannot find it on the internet and cannot load onto the resources as it was given to me by a friend! Here are a couple of pages from the document and if you would like the whole document send me a direct message and I will forward!
    Letters and Sounds all around…… A Handbook for Practitioners Working with Phase 1 Seven aspects and three strands
    Phase One activities are arranged under the following seven strands
    ∗ Aspect 1: General sound discrimination - environmental sounds
    ∗ Aspect 2: General sound discrimination - instrumental sounds
    ∗ Aspect 3: General sound discrimination - body percussion
    ∗ Aspect 4: Rhythm and rhyme
    ∗ Aspect 5: Alliteration
    ∗ Aspect 6: Voice sounds
    ∗ Aspect 7: Oral blending and segmenting
    While there is considerable overlap between these aspects, the overarching aim is for children to experience regular, planned opportunities to listen carefully and talk extensively about what they hear, see and do. The boundaries between each strand are flexible and not fixed; practitioners should plan to integrate the activities according to the developing abilities and interests of the children in the setting.
    Each aspect is divided into three strands.
    ∗ Tuning into sounds
    ∗ Listening and remembering sounds (auditory memory and sequencing)
    ∗ Talking about sounds (developing vocabulary and language comprehension)
    Activities within the seven aspects are designed to help children:
    1. listen attentively
    2. enlarge their vocabulary
    3. speak confidently to adults and other children
    4. discriminate phonemes
    5. reproduce audibly the phonemes they hear, in order, all through the word
    6. use sound-talk to segment words into phonemes
    The ways in which practitioners and teachers interact and talk with children are critical to developing children's speaking and listening. This needs to be kept in mind throughout all phase one activities

Examples of Phonic Opportunities in the Daily Routine
    <table cellpadding="7" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Daily routine
    </td><td colspan="2">Phonic opportunities
    <font face="Arial,Arial" size="3">(indoors and outdoors)
    </font>
    </td><td>Do we do this?
    <font face="Arial,Arial" size="3">(any opportunities we could develop?)
    </font>
    </td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">Settling in/Together Time
    </td><td colspan="2">&lowast; <font face="Arial,Arial" size="3">Signing in </font><font face="Arial,Arial" size="3">&lowast; Self-registration
    &lowast; Hello song
    </font></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">Adult-initiated activities
    (Large/small group)
    </td><td colspan="2">&lowast; <font face="Arial,Arial" size="3">Listening games </font><font face="Arial,Arial" size="3">&lowast; Role play
    &lowast; Music / movement or rhythm activities
    &lowast; Shared reading or writing
    &lowast; Movement, e.g. dancing, marching (whole body movement)
    &lowast; Small world play
    &lowast; Mark making activities
    &lowast; Chopstick game
    &lowast; What&rsquo;s in the box?
    &lowast; Mr Bear
    </font></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">Child-initiated learning
    </td><td colspan="2">&lowast; <font face="Arial,Arial" size="3">Singing </font><font face="Arial,Arial" size="3">&lowast; Marching
    &lowast; Responding to music
    &lowast; Musical warning e.g. tambourine
    </font></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">Snack / Lunch Time
    </td><td colspan="2">&lowast; <font face="Arial,Arial" size="3">Recording numbers for juice, milk, etc </font><font face="Arial,Arial" size="3">&lowast; Making signs in the setting
    &lowast; Making menus for today&rsquo;s choices
    &lowast; Children register to show their preferences
    &lowast; Snack and Chat
    &lowast; Place mats
    &lowast; Sorting photos of fruit etc.
    &lowast; Music
    </font></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">Tidy Away Time
    </td><td colspan="2">&lowast; <font face="Arial,Arial" size="3">Music &ndash; listen and respond </font><font face="Arial,Arial" size="3">&lowast; Instruments to indicate a few minutes warning e.g. tambourine
    </font></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">Transition / Home Times
    </td><td colspan="2">&lowast; <font face="Arial,Arial" size="3">Opportunities to use songs, games and rhymes e.g. goodbye song: </font><font face="Arial,Arial" size="3">&lowast; Transition song
    &lowast; Reading and writing links with letters &lsquo;to go home&rsquo;: &lsquo;Bertie the Bee&rsquo; &ndash; toy taken home (e.g. diary)
    </font></td></tr></table>

4. <font size="2">We complete our letters and sounds 4 days a week and normally have a small group of children (4-5) on the carpet at a time while the other children are taken outside to make the Nursery a bit quieter. I find this works really well, although it isn't always a small group carpet time, sometimes we're outside playing instruments or complete in family groups of 13. We start by working on aspects one two and three, then when the children are secure move onto four and five (Rhyme and alliteration) and finally move onto six and seven.</font><font size="2"> I also find it easier that after completing aspect one - three we group our children so that they are working with children at a similar level. At the moment we have around half of the children working on aspect 4 and 5, around a third on aspects 6 and 7 and the rest working on aspect 1,2 and 3.</font>
    <font size="2">Have to admit I would find it difficult to do incidentally, especially with those children who need the listening skills games and could definetly not do it as a whole 39 every day! </font>

5. Hi
    I have a problem integrating all the aspects of phase one in my classroom,however i found your ideas very interesting ,its balanced and fun for kids.I was wondering if you could please let me know how to get a copy of your handbook? I would truly appreciate your help.
    Thank you
    Tasneem

6. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

I do mine as whole class activities as well and sometimes also in small groups. Maybe you could have a small group inside whilst others are outside, if this is poss in your setting. Or could you lively ones be in a smaller group with someone else if unable to sit still. I had some very lively ones last year who actually managed to sit for 15 mins if given something to hold or help with. I also had one who i gave jobs around the room to when very active and they were able to join in with the activity whilst doing something else, normally tidying and area. good luck, you can only try different things and see how they go. we often have several activities going on at once inside and unless a listening activity where the outside noise can distract, the children coped very well.

7. Hello there- I've just moved to a Manchester school from Cheshire- I was
    wondering if you could send a copy of the Phase 1 book to use with my
    nursery class? Would be really helpful thank you! s_a_maynard@hotmail.co.uk

8. LizzieTish

LizzieTish New commenter

9. Hi there , the booklet sounds really good . Please could I have a copy too. Thanks.
    caztelford@gmail.com

10. This looks really good. Please could I have a copy it would be really helpful especially if there are examples of activities, I'm always looking for fresh ideas.
    Thanks, Diana.

11. Can you please send me the Letters and Sounds document.

Thanks

Helen

12. Sorry, could you e-mail the letters and sounds document.

My e-mail is helen.menzies@virginmedia.com

Thank you so much.

Helen

13. This sounds brilliant, I would love a copy of this please. My email is lwithers@hotmail.co.uk

14. i am in nursery and do plan to aspects and also for incidental - which i put on reflective planning after it has happened - but also use apply in CI aspect or small group adult led. I am devising a phase 1 support for EYFS and KS 1 staff as i do not want people to think we are not doing phonics as it may not look like theirs - please if i am not too late could you sentd the advice to me also - donofan@googlemail,com, thanks

15. There are some fun activities in the L&S info, I work through/around these - half the class outside doing WriteDance (it's fun/active/good motor skills programme) & half with me doing the L&S activities & we swap on alternative days, so we make sure the wriggly ones have more appropriate pace & movement. This is 9.15 every a.m.

16. Hiya Pat,
    I have not received a copy of your Letters and Sounds Handbook yet. I would be very grateful if I could have a copy.
    Thankyou :[​IMG]
    email : paulineshankly@hotmail.co.uk

17. Hi
    Could i please have a copy also.
    natharrison2001@yahoo.co.uk

18. Hello
    Would it be possible for you to send me a copy of this booklet. Thank you so much!
    Jo wadkcaj5@yahoo.co.uk

19. inky

inky Lead commenter

Isn't this something your local authority should be able to get for you - together with training, of course?