1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letters and Sounds inset

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tigger_teacher, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Can any one help...I've been asked to lead whole school inset ASAP!!!

2. Can any one help...I've been asked to lead whole school inset ASAP!!!

3. Kurly

Kurly New commenter

Why don't you spend time introducing the lesson plans published by lcp makes it a lot easier to administer and they are about fifty pounds. Cheapish.Also offer a choice of workshops on the games and activities so that people can take them into class without fear. Suppose a lot depends on if you are ks1 or 2 as well.

4. I'm doing one too! I've put together a powerpoint presentation (I know, but it's very hard to explain phonics without showing the different graphemes!)covering the basics of phonics and the methodology of letters and sounds ( I think they came from a training day I went on but I'm not sure!) I can let you have a copy if you like?

5. Tiger Teacher full inset plans - ppts, handouts & advice are all on the PNS website. I think I found them in the CPD section. Save yourself some valuable pre-holiday time:)

6. I attended one which was done in school by the lit-co-ordinator and she used some ********** resources such as the bingo and the tricky words with the pictures on to show how easy it is to get resources and what can be used and to inspire some of the teachers to make their own up or use good old SB. Also, sound tubs were used to show how we can use these with SEN and Eal children.

Good luck

7. From what I can see Letters and Sounds isn't greatly different from PIPS. Surely there aren't any schools where the basics of phonics need to be explained? Just how L&S differs from PIPS?
    But I would definitely show the resources on **********.

8. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

re post 6: thanks for the link. Some useful stuff there.

re post 8: many of the PIPs and PWS activities can be used to support Letters and Sounds. But the theory behind the two is very different. PIPs came out at the time of the original Literacy Strategy and supported the searchlights method of teaching reading, whereas L&S supports the simple view of reading advocated by the Rose Report. PIPs encouraged children to identify sounds at the beginning of words, then at the end, and finally in the middle of words. L&S, on the other hand, promotes blending words through from the very beginning.

And unfortunately, the basics of phonics does need to be explained in many schools. We had some training recently, and loads of our KS2 teachers and TAs were unfamiliar with terms such as phoneme and grapheme, needed practice in identifying the number of phonemes in a word, and didn't realise the importance of saying the pure letter sound (ie without an "uh" at the end.

9. Thanks for all the help....I'm working towards a powerpoint and will definately show the ********** stuff!