1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

letters and sounds in year 1 and 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gemsy, May 30, 2011.

1. hi does anyone plan their phonics sessions in year 1 and 2 using letters and sounds? i am moving into ks1 after the summer from reception and would like to continue using letters and sounds as i have done this year but the current ks1 classes are using smart phonics. any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!

thanks [​IMG]

2. hi does anyone plan their phonics sessions in year 1 and 2 using letters and sounds? i am moving into ks1 after the summer from reception and would like to continue using letters and sounds as i have done this year but the current ks1 classes are using smart phonics. any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!

thanks [​IMG]

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

I've put some phase 2, 3, 4 and 5 planning in resources section. It's based on letters and sounds. I can't help you with smart phonics though - sorry!

4. great thank you. I have found lots of good resources for letters and sounds- think i would like to focus on this and scrap smart phonics i just wanted to do a bit of research first and see what others do in ks1 and ks2. how much time do children in ks1 spend doing phonics per day?

5. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I teach Year 1 and we spend 20 mins daily on phonics- although sometimes its less than that as our phonics session is straight after assembly which tends to over run!

6. comenius

comenius New commenter

We spend 20-30 minutes a day on discrete phonics teaching, and then it is reinforced in all their writing/reading activities. I sometimes have extra sessions for any children who are finding certain aspects difficult e.g. I had a group a while ago who were secure with phase 3 GPC's but didn't know the tricky words, so extra time was spent with them working on that.

7. do you both use letters and sounds or an additional scheme?

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Ask the school don't do your own thing as it might not fit in with school policy. (from what I recall Smart Phonics is a mixture of whole language and analytical phonics so wouldn't match with L&S)
    Can I ask why you want to use Letters & Sounds?

9. thanks for all your replies.
    i am keen to use letters and sounds next yr as its what i currently do in reception and wanted a more consistent transition from yr r to yr 1.

10. Our Y1/2 chn go to different ability groups for phonics for 20 mins after play each day. Each Teacher / TA has a group (2 form entry school). We use letters and sounds or the LCP planning which follows letters and sounds. Works a treat.