1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letters and Sounds in F1

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by rnanhnbn2013, Sep 25, 2018.

1. rnanhnbn2013

rnanhnbn2013 New commenter

Hi
    When do people start letters and sounds in Nursery. I am finding that the children are not ready or focused enough to do it in a large group. However, to do it in small groups - we would be using an adult almost all the time to ensure all children are accessing it enough.
    How do people organise it?
    Thanks in advance

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

How often are you doing it ? We used to have small groups of about 6-8 but focused on one aspect each week. But make sure you Jeep it short and snappy, 10 mind us more than enough so certainly shouldn't be taking all day. We then moved the resources into free play so they could access at their own level freely.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Already started phase 1.
    We have ten mins at most and I try hard to 'take it to them' while they do independent tasks as much as possible.
    Like @grumbleweed I leave the resources/activity out for them to access as they wish.

4. TakeThatter

TakeThatter New commenter

We do most of it in circle time, with songs and pictures. (Jolly Phonics) True that some of them cannot understand the concept, but the songs are great to sing and have actions so they all enjoy it. Eventually everyone will have picked it up.

5. May2

May2 Established commenter

Lots of phase one is done through games, training their listening skills before concentrating on the actual letters. Depending how many children you have, we used to split into two or three groups to play some of the games. I always liked the silly soup game we would play with the objects in a bowl sometimes with the whole class at circle time.
    We did introduce a sound each week as well with Jolly Phonics, not sure if this is frowned upon a bit now but the children loved it and would collect things at home to bring in beginning with the sound. The parents were very supportive too and it was surprising how soon they all began to catch on.

6. squashball

squashball Occasional commenter

When I worked in Reception I used to HATE it if children from nursery had already started to learn Phase 2: invariably they could recognise the occasional grapheme but frequently they could not talk in a complete sentence, hear rhyme, tap or clap a rhythm, didn't know songs or nursery rhymes, couldn't focus for a whole book, couldn't hear sounds in simple words, couldn't pronounce simple words correctly - all of this should be done during the crucial nursery period and that's what Phase 1 and silly soup and listening walks and circle times are all about. I know this isn't necessarily what the OP was questioning and apologise for my mini rant. The nusery staff in my school have not yet started Phase 1 either as they are too busy toilet training or informing parents their children really should walk instead of arriving in buggies clutching their mother's phones (I kid you not). They are even dealing with tantrums over dummies at the moment.
    Not really missing EYs.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Not the point of the thread, but this has made me feel a whole lot better about my class.
    At least we don't have the dummies problem!

I have started phase 1, but not every day and, as I posted earlier, not for long.

squashball likes this.
  8. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Well said :)

9. May2

May2 Established commenter

@squashball ]When I worked in Reception I used to HATE it if children from nursery had already started to learn Phase 2:'
    And did you also hate it when you had the odd child who could already read too. . I'm sorry I know what you are saying and I did play all the games etc in Phase ! but you do get some children who are ready to move on. I do sometimes wonder how much value there is in being able to clap a rhythm before learning to read. I know a child who at 18 months was asking her mother what each individual sound in a word said and wasn't happy just being told the word. Her mother bought some magnetic letters for the fridge and within 3 months she recognised the individual letter sounds. Sometimes you have to follow the child's interest, I doubt she could clap a rhythm.. Sorry it was your HATE in capitals that got to me a bit.

10. CJH77

CJH77 New commenter

Morning, I am.wondering if you can settle a little debate that me and my colleague are having ! Should the activities in L&S be delivered in a particular order or can the different strands ( except oral blending) be dipped into according to childrens needs. Thanks