1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Letters and Sounds" - how many schools?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by T34, Mar 11, 2012.

1. T34

T34 Established commenter

I'd be interested to know how widespread is the use the DfE "Letters and Sounds" programme.
    This is with a view to providing tracking software.
    Thanks,
    T34

2. T34

I'd be interested to know how widespread is the use the DfE "Letters and Sounds" programme.
    This is with a view to providing tracking software.
    Thanks,
    T34

3. We use it. I find it very useful in terms of pace and content.
    Tracking software could prove helpful.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We don't and neither do any of the schools in our cluster.
    I'm not sure how you would get a clear idea of it's use ...good luck

5. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

What would you be wanting to track?

6. T34

The suggestion is to record every term the (secure) phase achieved, colour coded according to achievement or otherwise of the "benchmark" for that term. At the end of summer term record the Phonics screening test score.

7. We use it - I'm in a school in Slough.

8. Msz

For what purpose?

9. T34

Good question. Obviously recording for recording's sake is to be avoided.
    But, If future strategies are to be based on the current position then it is as well to have a record of the current position? Most LAs seem to produce tracking sheets for phonics.
    My interest is primarily in storing and retrieving currently stored data but in the easiest and most accessible way.
    I can imagine it to be useful if Ofsted are complaining about a particular Y6 group, say, to have as much info as possible about the history of that group, dating back to the year dot.

10. Msz

It might be useful for Ofsted if Letters & Sounds were statutory but most schools don't use it or use it with another program

11. No we use Jolly Phonics

12. We start off doing Jolly Phonics in reception and then lead into Letters & Sounds. KS1 do Letters & Sounds and we have found it very useful. We have 6 groups running and also pick kids up from Y3 & 4 who have gaps. Children are using their phonics in their reading and writing and many of the KS2 staff have commented on this.
    We assess the children at the end of each phase and may juggle children around who we feel need consolidation. I have a Y1 child who comes into my L & S input and she has made brilliant progress.
    If its done correctly it works!
    Lou

13. T34

Thanks to everyone who has posted.
    "Letters and Sounds" does seem to have a fair-sized user base.

14. Can I ask how you came to that conclusion? On this thread only 50% of respondents use it. Did you get lots of pms as well?
    It's not surprising that a lot of schools might use it. They all got a number of free copies; 5, I seem to recall.

15. T34

No I've had no PMs.
    I know it's a tiny sample, and there's no control (I didn't ask the question as to how many use "Jolly Phonics", for example). But the fact that two people respond with a "yes within a few hours of the OP does suggest that the user-base is not insignificant. It is also used up to Y4 too I believe, but I didn't post on the "Primary" forum, so I guess there would have been more affirmative replies from there.
    I am including a simple tracker for "Letters and Sounds" in a larger tracking program and need to decide if I should make it available for all users or just those who request it. Making it available for all users is the simplest progamming option, but one doesn't want to add an extra button if it is going to just clutter up the interface and get no use at all..
    May I ask, out of interest, have you some criticisms of the "Letters and Sounds" programme?
    I see your point about it being sent out to all schools in multiple copies. Seems a bit anti-competitive, perhaps?

16. Msz

It shouldn't be ... L&S should be completed by the end of KS1 and even then Support for Spelling overlaps as it begins in Y2.
    those stupid bliddy phases are lowering levels of achievement

17. we use it and a lot of schools in east riding too. we combine it with jolly phonics too. we like it.

18. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

For a start off threre is plenty to assess already in EY, so doing a bunch more detailed assessments is not going to float my boat. Second, I doubt there are many schools using 100% L&S. Granted, some schools are over obsessed with the phases to the extent that children are not moved onto the next phase until they are secure. This in my view is nonsense. What I expect is more common is what happens in our school. We use L&S as a basic overview but decided between us the other day that we had not actually looked at the book for about 3 years. Jolly Phonics is our way of introducing PGCs. I think all those phases with CVC and CCVC and CVCC words are also bonkers. I don't bother with some of the graphemes. Many of the games are a distraction and nothing to do with learning to read and write. Last of all, what will anybody learn from this? As teachers we know where the children are with their learning. And we give them the support they need to make progress. We don't need to assess them in a different way to do that.

19. Msz

Why do you combine it with JP?

20. This is something that has always puzzled me. JP is a perfectly good programme. Why does it have to be 'combined' with L & S?