1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letters and Sounds - How do you teach it?????

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lilyput, Oct 4, 2008.

1. I have set up a website with loads of resources to support the teaching of Letters and Sounds, including links to other sites with IWB resources:

www.lesleyclarkesyntheticphonics.co.uk

Hope you find it useful.

Lesley

2. A couple of people have responded to my invitation to have access to the full Phonics International programme (and the Early Years Starter Package) and I'm happy if anyone else would like to contact me to try it out.

People also need to have a look at the free resources of unit 1 of the programme. There are 60 substantial resources - many of which can easily be used with Letters and Sounds and any other reputable synthetic phonics programme.

It is crazy to 'follow' Letters and Sounds when the government people themselves are saying to teachers to use a commercial or in-house programme as long as it fits the recommended criteria.

What worries me is that I see all sorts of people creating some ad hoc resources to 'fit' with Letters and Sounds but this is unlikely to amount to a particularly helpful approach for schools.

It has taken me (and other programme designers) many, many hours to provide a small step by small step programme which is comprehensive, systematic and flexible. This does not compare to the odd resource to fit with Letters and Sounds.

What Letters and Sounds does, in effect, is put synthetic phonics teaching 'on the map' but please don't everyone think that it is the ultimate 'answer' in best programmes.

What your schools need to do is to evaluate what programmes have to offer and whether they need supplementary resources.

In many ways I started off writing Phonics International feeling that there were gaps in what was available and insufficient teaching and learning resources - for example, visual display material which is really step by step.

Designing an online programme has allowed me to provide extensive resources to support whole schools for reading and spelling - and then spelling.

But, AT LEAST, look at The Alphabetic Code Overview Charts which are free in unit 1. This will help teachers, assistants and the children and their parents to develop a concept of the alphabetic code rather than just the alphabet.

I think it is also very helpful if schools do their best to inform and embrace parents help.

www.phonicsinternational.com Just click on the unit 1 button top left of the homepage.