1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letter

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Kubrick2001, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Kubrick2001

Kubrick2001 New commenter

Hi, looking for advice, a job advert asks for a letter about why you want to apply to that school.. Apart from the obvious of referencing prospectus, ofsted, outcomes, personal experience etc.. Any other advice of what to include?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

3. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

How could this school benefit yourself and your career- equally, what skills you can bring to the school!

phlogiston likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No.

A school doesn't care in the least about benefitting you and your career. All those letters saying This post would give me an opportunity to widen my experience of...

A school is interested in benefitting its pupils and the school community.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I just had to correct a very common misapprehension!

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"

Best wishes

sbkrobson likes this.
  5. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I get what you’re saying and that’s why I mentioned that the OP needs to mention what unique skill set they possess that will make them a favourable candidate for the role.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, @thejudgesscoresarein, that's right.

Their unique features, their selling points.

But NOT what they hope to gain from the school, the emphasis must be on what the school must gain from them.

Click on that link above for more information. ;)

Best wishes