1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letter writing Y3

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ceh54, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Can anyone suggest a good book that includes letters? I have already considered the ususal suspects like Jolly Postman and Dear Greenpeace but I need somethiung a little more grown up. Any ideas?
    Thank you.

2. Why do you need something more 'grown up'??
    I personally think that The Jolly Postman would be enjoyable for any year group if it is used in the right way. If you are using it as a stimulus for different styles of letter writing, then surely that would be a brilliant example of that?
    x

3. I used the Jolly Postman books with my Year 3 class and they loved it :) And i have 18 boys with only 7 girls :-(

4. Doing it now this year, and did it with my last Y3's in summer term - used the book Meerkat Mail for an entry point, writing goodf postcards informal styles etc. Has flap up postcards the lot, they LOVED this book - Merrkat Mail by emily Gravett.

The other book they all LOVE, find hilariously funny but also demo's formal letter style and informal - Dear Miss by Amy Husband. Managed to get some beautiful work from both books, really captured my children's imaginations, spark and sense of humour, especially Dear Miss - with these elaborate reasons as to why Michael can't come back to school - chasing pyramids, amazon rainforest, pirates etc. With funny twist at the end when it is apparent he is lying LOL.m Very enjoyable, the book is even like an envelope in the way it opens. We just love it!