1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“Letter to my lazy wife”

Discussion in 'Personal' started by silkywave, Feb 2, 2019.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Think what it's like for the husband.

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Thought the original letter was very depressing. I felt sorry for the guy, but parents do have to take some responsibility for the skills they teach their children and the way they prepare them for adult life. Maybe I just had it easy, but both of mine paid rent as soon as they were earning (not while at uni, summer jobs then were to help fund term time expenses).

Now in their 40s, they both own houses and hoping to be mortgage free in their early 50s - several years earlier than we achieved that.

Easyasabc likes this.
  4. Easyasabc

Easyasabc Occasional commenter

Yeah agree - I feel sorry for the guy. He has sadly ploughed his life into his work and allowed his family to take his hard work approach for granted. He sounds as a result as if he is on the verge of a breakdown because the identity he gave himself (the hard worker, the earner) is now about to go.

He should have sat his family down ages past - possibly even spent more time with them. Sometimes family time is far more important than just the cycle of working for money. Still I do feel sorry for him.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We charged both blazer major and minor 'housekeeping' when they lived at home and were in work. We banked the money and gave it them back when they bought their first homes. Blazer major got about 3 grand and blazer minor had accrued about 5K by the time he moved out.

6. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

A friend celebrated his daughters marriage, waved goodbye and looked forward to the pitter-patter of tiny visiting grandchildren. Two months later she returned to the fold. Her husband was kind and loving but she could not afford to do the things she used to, cleaning and cooking was too much effort and she preferred to be 'free'. She might feel 'free' but mum and dad were looking forward to having more quality time too.

7. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Unless there is more to the story than you’re aware of, @neddyfonk , both your friends, and their daughter, need a swift kick in the rear.

harsh-but-fair likes this.