1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letter to my 16 year old self....what would you say?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sabrinakat, Nov 26, 2015.

1. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Dear Sabrinakat,

Forgive your parents - they have their own issues which have nothing to do with you.
    Study what you love, only then will you truly succeed in life.
    You will find love, so it is better to focus on your studies and not let crushes distract you.
    Care not what others think of you, but be mindful to be considerate and show empathy.
    Smile more and you may feel better.
    There are always moments of tragedy and sorrow - learn to appreciate the moment but understand that sometimes, it is okay to cry.
    Asking for help, admitting you're wrong or just being confused is normal - don't trust people who say they know everything.
    Every day is a new adventure but be prepared that it may take time to forget yesterday.
    Don't smoke - it isn't clever or cool -- and it costs money which could be better spent on clothes.
    Think before you speak - the person you offend might have been a good friend one day
    Seize the day - ask questions and challenge everything, but know when to step back.
    Dream the impossible, but figure out how to achieve it in practical terms.
    Know when to step back and listen to those with more experience, but also question their answers.
    Know that this too shall past and any heartbreak or joy will become part of the tapestry of your life.
    Stop and smell the roses but also appreciate the thorns as they bring true balance to your life.
    and...

There will always be a part of you that feels 16 - full of hope, joy and worry. One day, you will look in the mirror at an older you that is still you - take a moment and think - perhaps I can reach my 16 year old self and do what I should have done then, now....

Wishing all a very happy thanksgiving!

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Feel the fear, but do it anyway.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Get your ******* act together and stop being a ****.

*slap*

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Dear MSB

Do something, anything, about the hair.

Regards

Your future self

coffeekid likes this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh me too... hair was down to my shoulders... oh god it was awful!

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Stop being so compliant and trying to please everyone else and start putting yourself first sometimes.
    Be more adventurous.
    Consider other things for a career apart from teaching.
    Go to the library and find out about the facts of life. Your school and your mother should not be shielding you from such information.

7. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Listen to your gut and don't go into teaching.

8. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

You're going to experience an array of things over the next few years, some that you won't enjoy. They will shape you and you will be successful and happy. Trust your doubts, don't change.

9. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

My 16 year old self wouldn't bother reading a letter from a cynical old lady.

midnight_angel likes this.
  10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Ignore the Head teacher and choose a career path for yourself.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

When you said you'd do teaching for five years while sorting out what you really wanted to do, did you know you were really kidding yourself and you'd never really decide?

To my 24 year old self.

midnight_angel likes this.
  12. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

(1) Don't worry, everything's going to work out just as you want it

(2) Buy shares in apple

13. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Don't become a teacher!

14. honeymarmalade

honeymarmalade Occasional commenter

People like you when you give them the chance, and you don't have to settle for the first boy who shows an interest.
    Or move in with him.
    Or marry him.
    Or have his babies.

Too late now!

15. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

"Get away from this mad village now!"

That would be from my sixteenth birthday in late August until 16th December when I went away on remand in Risley, allocation to borstal in Strangeways and off to Stoke Heath until 23rd August 1977: one week before my seventeenth birthday.

Through that time I would written "only x days to go" because, I didn't know if I'd do the whole two years or the absolute minimum, six months.

Don't ask me about when I fifteen.

16. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Jude has it! If I could go back to being 16, I wouldn't worry that I was a size 12 and not a 10, and eat green apples for lunch. I would have known my mother was a paranoid schizophrenic, and despite feeding her offspring by myself, would have had sympathy instead of loathing. I would have known how strong I can be, but also vulnerable at times, and I would certainly made some different decisions along the way.

My prison experience is different to Jude's since I was only every visiting, but when you have seen Holloway and Strangeways , Winchester which is a holding prison, all the others you get to know the territory, and why people are there. Those doors clunking behind you as you make your way in and out, and the human poverty of it all. What struck me about women's prisons was the pride they still had, against the de-humanisation in the men's.

17. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Dear xena: however unfair you thought the regime in which you were raised (nutjob megalomaniac grandmother, her completely broken daughter (Mum), and long-suffering but non-fighting Dad), you were right. It was totally unfair and you were right to bloody complain about it, however much difficulty it caused at the time.
    When you discovered this year that, against all previous evidence to the contrary, that you were fanciable to the power of n, you didn't need to go quite so mad to demonstrate it.
    And the fact that at your never-praise-in-case-it-destroys-their-Catholic-humility (so becoming in a girl) school, no-one ever told you you were in fact staggeringly clever (if only by the school standard), probably held you back for the rest of your life? Move on. There's still time.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Hey 16 year old Lanokia [taking it a bit more seriously]

You have two loving parents who have bent over backwards out of love for you so have some damn respect and stop being a selfish brat.

Stop smoking you idiot. Just because you want to impress a girl!

Hey, you know those exams, they might be important, you're about to waste four years of your life mopping in Coventry. God that should be hellish enough.

And cut your hair.

Stupid emo-wannabe idiot.

*slap*

19. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Dear Kaza, for goodness sake stop trying to please and impress everyone , especially your mother. Do things for yourself, it's a big world out there and you can do anything you want.

Oh and dear God you're not fat! In 40 years time you'd give your first born to be a size 14. Well maybe not the first born, he's the pension plan!

20. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Dear Spirit, I'll get back to you when you're 20 - carry on you're going to have a blast for the next 4 years.

P.S. Perhaps one hint - buy that horse, he'll make you a fortune NOT the person you told to buy it.