1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letter to governors?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nomad, Mar 20, 2011.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Rubbish. It is not a governors' decision. The governors should be dealing with the strategic direction of the school. This is a management decision and is the responsibility of the HT.
    Seems she is passing the buck.

2. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

True, although it's certainly within the remit of the governers to decide on policy in such matters.
    What I can't understand is how anyone who was allowed such leave in these circumstances would expect to get paid a single penny. Why should they?

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

You could always ring HR at the LA and find out what exactly you are entitled to. A colleague of mine did this when her daughter had an operation and she, quite naturally, had to be there. They may well be able to advise you on how to address a letter to the governors, should you need to write one.
    I would also echo the sentiment of amazement that anyone would expect to be granted paid leave!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would ask for unpaid leave and let them know that, of course, I would leave work for the children so that they did not lose out on their learning.

5. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

We are all entitled to carers leave though. This is nothing like that.

I'm sure most schools would allow it, unpaid.

6. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

True, true. I was using it as an illustration for talking to HR for advice.

7. I would also expect to be allowed time off for a daughter's operation, but a wedding is different.... you can but ask. I have one coming up on a Thursday of all days and am really reluctant to ask for time off as it's not a family member or even my best friend (it is one of OH's though...) I am really torn as I think it's cheeky asking for time off in term time. I am sory but I also think it's cheeky of people to get married on Thursdays/in Crete etc and expect others to take time off unpaid/ pay to fly out there... that's another matter though! Good luck!

8. Hiya
    We have a no leave policy in our school. I had to take unpaid leave to attend my auntie's funeral (apparantly can only have paid leave for direct family which in the policy reads - parents, parents in law, siblings, spouses and children)
    Someone in our authority has now written a policy which is in line with the new termtime holidays policy for the kids. Basically the answer will be no!!!!
    As long as you don't have one of these governing bodies you'll be ok!!!

9. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Well you can but ask, but don't think they are being mean or unfair if they say no. Personally I would fully expect a no.
    Maybe you could have a shorter plan B if you really want to be at your friend's wedding which would just involve flying out in the evening on the Wednesday. I'm sure you could be a bridesmaid with zero practice, or just be her best friend but not the bridesmaid if the practicing really is so critical.