1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letter of resignation

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dogcat, Oct 21, 2010.

1. marlin

marlin Star commenter

If you give this date I think you will miss out on your summer pay. The date for leaving at the end of the summer term is usually given as August 31st.
    Union websites have information about resignation dates.

2. I am with Bob on this.
    The gushing ones make me squirm a bit. [​IMG]
    You can (if you really want to) write a card to the Head later, just before leaving, to say how utterly wonderful the school is and how desperately grateful you are that you were employed there and how your skills as a teacher have been honed to perfection because you were lucky enough to work at this temple of learning......but personally, I wouldn't bother.
    Just say you are going.
    Your busy Head and the Board of Govs will appreciate your brevity.

AE.....hater of Uriah Heep types. [​IMG]

3. arcaopino

arcaopino New commenter

Dear (name of head),
    I resign, effective 31/8/13.
    (your signature)
    anything else is just pointless emotion.

4. I'm writing my first letter of resignation this week. Just wanted to check the effective resignation date should it be 31st August? As this is when you should get paid up until.

Thanks

5. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

Yes, resignation date for summer term is at the end of the summer term/school year - 31st August. You will then be in continuous employment until the start of the new school year, commencing on 1st September.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

When I wrote mine I included reference to my no longer sharing the SLT's vision for the future of my subject, but I did so in an even-handed matter of fact way rather than grizzling. No harm in giving a reason if you state it professionally.

That said, the miserable sod of a HT crammed my leaving speech into a few spare minutes of a Monday morning staff briefing at very short notice, instead of the customary last day of term slot. I'd been there 20 years and I'll never forgive the HT for that piece of petty spite. Half the people I said thank you to were support staff or part-timers and weren't even in the room. I made a point of NOT saying goodbye to the HT on the day I left - not that they'd be bothered anyway.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

8. LawCitizenshipPHSE

LawCitizenshipPHSE New commenter

Hi everyone,

I want to make my HT aware that I am applying for jobs and that they will very soon be contacted for a reference. This is my first teaching post so I am unsure of how to do this.

What do you think of the below? Any advice appreciated.

Dear...

I hope you are well.

Given the nature of this email, I would have preferred to have spoken to you about this in person, however, I am not due back at work until next week and wanted to make you aware as soon as possible.

The purpose of my email is to inform you that I am applying for teaching positions at local schools, ideally to commence in September 2019.

Making this decision has been very difficult, as I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at ******** thus far. Working at xxxxxxx has been a positive experience and one for which I am grateful. The school has always provided me with opportunities to develop my experience and expertise, from joining as an NQT and being given the opportunity to become HOD, both **** and yourself have always supported me through my career.

My main reason for this decision is to shorten my commute to and from work due to the recent injuries to my back and leg.

I have provided your details on the application form as my referee and wanted to make you aware of this as soon as possible.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email me.

Regards,

FrankWolley likes this.
  9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Looks fine to me, though I would just add the phrase I have added above (in bold italics)

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I wouldn't be putting phrases like, "I hope you are well" inan official letter to apprise your Head of your intention to look for another job.
    I also think that your suggested communication sounds more like a resignation letter when there is no guarantee that you will find jobs to apply for, or will get shortlisted/chosen. I'd suggest a much shorter message informing the Head that you have decided to start applying for alternative posts because of travel/health issues and wish to let them know in advance of any requests for references etc.

knitone and harsh-but-fair like this.
  11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

That's what I wrote. I didn't add the last bit, I would have written something much more interesting if I hadn't held myself back.

ETA: Oops zombie thread.

12. LawCitizenshipPHSE

LawCitizenshipPHSE New commenter

A
    It's an email which is why i thought to add the initial sentence, and because i am not in work for another week and haven't seen HT for a while??

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

As it's an email, that's all the more reason to lose the familiar pleasantries. Emails are the technological equivalent of the old paper memo. No-one would write " I hope you are well" in a memo.