1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letter of intention - Is it a contract?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sparkacus, May 18, 2012.

1. I teach at an International School in Kuwait.
    My current contract expires on 31 August 2012 and in January I was asked to sign a letter of intention saying that I intend to remain at the school for the year 2012-2013. At the time this was my intention, so I signed it.
    For several reasons, I changed my mind and in March, I informed the principal of my change of intention.
    The school then informed me that I am now under contract until August 2013, even though I had signed no extension to my current contract. They have threatened to sue me (and my wife) for a full year's salary, accommodation costs, advertising costs, recruitment costs and whatever other costs they can think of if we don't return in August and work another year.

Any ideas?

2. I teach at an International School in Kuwait.
    My current contract expires on 31 August 2012 and in January I was asked to sign a letter of intention saying that I intend to remain at the school for the year 2012-2013. At the time this was my intention, so I signed it.
    For several reasons, I changed my mind and in March, I informed the principal of my change of intention.
    The school then informed me that I am now under contract until August 2013, even though I had signed no extension to my current contract. They have threatened to sue me (and my wife) for a full year's salary, accommodation costs, advertising costs, recruitment costs and whatever other costs they can think of if we don't return in August and work another year.

Any ideas?

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Tell them to go to hell.
    Typical behaviour from some of the cr*ppier schools out there.
    If you need more specific advice, go on to the Teaching Overseas forum and pose the question there.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Is your contract subject to English Law or Kuwaiti law?

5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

#
    But don't be that polite!