1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letter of applications and standard application forms

Discussion in 'Primary' started by robyn147, Jun 5, 2011.

1. I've been applying for a few jobs recently and haven't heard
    anything - not unusual. Then I recently got an application pack which
    emphasised the importance of the letter of application. I have been
    taking great care to complete the "other information" section - Why are
    you applying for this job - which is a part of the main application
    pack.
    How does this differ from the letter of application? Should
    I be doing a separate letter explaining in detail why I am applying for the job
    or should this be in the "Other information" section?
    Any advice is welcome.

2. This would probably be better put in the Jobseekers forum where TheoGriff would be able to advise. I tend to put something general on the application form and refer them to the letter of application but since I haven't had any interviews I would take that with a pinch of salt. I was wondering whether to put just a summary of my experience (like an executive summary) in that section of the application form. Might give it a whirl and see what happens.
    Good luck anyway.

3. Normal a letter of application is you showing how you satisfy the person specification, in detail, with examples. You need to try and refer to every bullet point and explain how you fit the requirement.
    An application form is normally pretty basic, and in the "other information" section I think I used to write "Please refer to enclosed letter of application." - but normally jobs I applied for specified if they wanted a letter of application, so I find it weird that jobs you are applying for don't make this clear.

4. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Some heads ask for a CV and letter of application and some provide an application form. Either way the letter you write is the most important part of your application as this is where you should address all aspects of the job and person spec showing why you are the right person for that job. You need to show that you have taken the trouble to find out about the school either through a visit (vital if you want to stand above hundreds of other applicants), visiting their website, reading their latest Ofsted report etc.
    Although you can devise a standard letter which could apply to any job, it is expected that you will personalise it to that particular job. It also gives you an opportunity to show what else you can bring to the school which will make you stand out from the crowd - this is what you really want to do to enable you to get to the interview stage. You don't need to go into a huge amount of detail, just enough to whet their appetite. I would advise no more than 3 sides of A4 at the very most. I know it sounds obvious but make sure you choose a font design and size which is easy to read.
    Where an application form is provided and a space for you to complete your letter, I would suggest inserting a letter separately.
    Good luck with your applications - remember the process is as much about the school being right for you as you being right for the school.
    Carrie [​IMG]

5. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

oh ... nice profile pic impulce!