1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letter of Application

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by pinklepurr, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Help please

I have to write a letter of application for a L1 TA position. I really want to make the most of my limited experience of working with children (only 1 year's worth - previous to that I did admin work). What sort of information would you suggest I include? Is there any sort of terminology I should include or indeed exclude?

2. Help please

I have to write a letter of application for a L1 TA position. I really want to make the most of my limited experience of working with children (only 1 year's worth - previous to that I did admin work). What sort of information would you suggest I include? Is there any sort of terminology I should include or indeed exclude?

3. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Tell them what you have done whilst working with these children. Tell them also that you are prepared to go on any course they need to put you on.

4. Just an idea, you could tell them you have been reading and studying the new literacy framework, every child matters agenda etc, (and do so in case they ask q's). It will show you are taking the job seriously and want to be informed of current changes.

5. Hi Pink
    I've recently (successfully) applied for a gem of a TA job....here's some ideas for your app letter

even tho you've only been a ta for a limited time say something about how well you've worked with the classteacher and carried out planning and what feedback you give if working with groups.

Behaviour management - again, in partnership with classteacher how you maintain levels of behaviour and apply sanctions.

Use your admin background to highlight your record keeping and upkeep of ieps, if you have been doing so. Also your computer skills are relevant.

As mentioned already, highlight any training you've undergone, however small, and any areas you'd like to explore further.

Calypso's already mentioned the new literacy framework - do a search on this site and throw in a few quotes to show you understand.

Ensure you personalise your letter so its obvious its not stock-standard ie. the small school is of interest for its excellent pastoral care or a larger school having the ability to have a greater number of sets within subjects.

Above all stress how FLEXIBLE you are and willing to take on anything asked and throw yourself into the school community.

good luck!