1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letter of Application

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by charlotteoconnor, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I am an NQT currently covering maternity leave and therefore applying for jobs for next year. However i am struggling to write my cover letter mainly adapting it from my training year experiences to what i have done in this teaching year. If anyone could give any guidance on what should be included i would be so grateful.
    Thanks

2. Hi everyone,
    I am an NQT currently covering maternity leave and therefore applying for jobs for next year. However i am struggling to write my cover letter mainly adapting it from my training year experiences to what i have done in this teaching year. If anyone could give any guidance on what should be included i would be so grateful.
    Thanks

3. It's hard to give advice without seeing what you've written, but some things that you should include are (in my opinion, others may feel differently):
    Your understanding of the importance of Drama as a subject. (Why it is important that it is taught, why it was valued it is valued in school, its place in the National Curriculum - under English in KS3, separate subject KS4/KS5....)
    Your experiences in the classroom (both your training year and your NQT year - the age ranges you have taught, anything extra you offered like introducing new SOW.)
    Your willingness to contribute to the extra-curricular life of the school (did you direct any productions, assist on trips, runs clubs, organise assemblies?) Any other skills you can offer the school?
    Your understanding of the professional qualifications that teachers need to uphold.
    Either begin or end (or both) with specific points about the school to which you are applying and why you would be their ideal teacher. Is it all boys/all girls/mixed/Christian/non-secular/known for its productions/excellent examination results?
    It is good to explain in your letter, as I am sure you will, that you are only leaving your current job because it is a maternity cover. Never bad mouth any job or colleague you have worked with (which I'm sure you wouldn't.)
    Hope that's of some help.