1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letter of Application help

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by tarkle, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Hi to all, I am applying for a job that requires a Letter of application with reference to teaching values and some other factors. It also asks for a personal statement within the application form. I have done personal statements before but have no idea how to lay out a letter of application alongside the personal statement.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated, Tom Arkle

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Yeah it is a funny one, because my general ethos towards teaching would go in the personal statement usually and you dont want to be repeating yourself. However, the letter is the first thing they will read and so it needs to stand out.

I guess I would use the letter to talk about my ethos - the values and standards I feel it is important to uphold in order to be the teacher I want to be. You could maybe pick 3 things to focus on. Then use the personal statement to discuss your experience and impact upon your teaching, with examples of good practice.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

In international schools, letters of application plus a CV are fairly standard, especially if there is no application form to complete.
    Firstly, I would recommend that you have a good look at the school's website and see what relevant information you can collect. Then try to write your letter of application with this information very much in mind. For example, if the school is in the process of building a new theatre, you can mention this in your letter of application and say something about your enthusiasm for directing plays. If a new swimming pool has just been opened, then you can refer to your Bronze Medallion. In other words, the letter of application should contain some positive reasons for employing you as a teacher at this particular school, rather than the letter just being a vague and waffly piece about "values and standards". Examples of good practice should probably be kept for your teaching portfolio.
    Having talked to a number of principals in international schools on this subject, I think that you will find that this is the way to do it. How to go about getting a job in the UK may well be very different. I have been away from the UK for quite a few years now, so I cannot really comment on this.

4. Thanks to all for replies, thats great; the school's very linked with the community and eager to expand so theres a lot I can work with. The school's also been really helpful and sent me a pack along with the last 3 publications released that include my subject. Thanks again guys. Tom

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Look over on the jobseekers forum. At the top there is a thread about applying and it answers just this sort of question, especially if you click on the links. Theo Griff is the expert on applications and he answers a zillion threads a day like this.