1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letter of Application help ASAP, please

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by may2008, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Hi, I am currently applying for a job and they have asked me to
    complete an application form and covering letter. They state that if
    you are a new entrant to the proffession please make sure your letter
    of application addresses the aspects of job description - it is not a
    good idea to use your personal statement for this purpose! I have wrote
    my personal statement linked parts to the school, however, I'm unsure
    what to put ina letter of application as I do not want to repeat my
    self! Also I have no idea how to set one out...this is my first time
    applying for a job and I'm struggling to get my head round it. Can
    anyone help me please!

2. Hi, I am currently applying for a job and they have asked me to
    complete an application form and covering letter. They state that if
    you are a new entrant to the proffession please make sure your letter
    of application addresses the aspects of job description - it is not a
    good idea to use your personal statement for this purpose! I have wrote
    my personal statement linked parts to the school, however, I'm unsure
    what to put ina letter of application as I do not want to repeat my
    self! Also I have no idea how to set one out...this is my first time
    applying for a job and I'm struggling to get my head round it. Can
    anyone help me please!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This is a common source of confusion - it's not just you! Basically there are three things:
    • A personal statement.
    • A letter of application
    • A covering letter
    In theory - I emphasise this - in theory they are different, and you would never have all three.
    Letter of application and personal statement are the same thing, except that one starts "Dear Mr Griffiths" and t´other doesn´t. (so don´t do both!)
    A covering letter is just that: it is a letter that acts as a sort of envelope, covering what you are sending off. It is a technical term and is used when you have a statement instead of a letter of application (so don´t do both!). It goes something like this:
    Dear Mr Griffiths
    Teacher of mathematics at Gasworks High School for Girls
    I have pleasure in applying for the above post and enclose my completed application form, personal statement and Equal Opportunities Form.
    Yours sincerely
    A Teacher
    The confusing thing is that sometimes the school doesn't understand what a covering letter actually is, and so they ask you to write a covering letter when in fact they mean a letter of application, so you need to keep your wits about you! No-one ever asks you to write a real covering letter; it's just a courtesy. So if they ask for one, they mean a letter of application. Your school has complicated it more by talking of both a covering letter and a letter of application!
    If they are asking for a personal statement on the form, and a letter, then you can make the bit on the form very brief, bullet point style rather like the Executive Summary that I speak of in the post at the top of the Forum, and then have a separate sheet or two with the letter of application in text form.
    What they don't want you to do is just give them the same old standard personal statement that you have given to other schools. they want an application targeted specifically at their school, which is just as it should be!
    Best of luck!

4. Thank you very much. I have tried my best working with their demands and hope I get shortlisted at least. This is my very first time applying as I am on my 2nd teaching practice. It has took me a week to complete this application form and I just hope others are not this confusing. I am glad I am not the only one. Its hard enough hoping for a school to give you a chance to complete your NQT year.
    Thanks again!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Now you've got that sorted, have a great weekend!

6. Dear Theo,
    I am applying for a HOD post and I am also finding the application form a little confusing. It doesn't say to attach a covering letter but within the application form there is a box for a supporting statement. Is it better to send the application with a covering letter ( 2 sides of A4)which is specific to this job and to write see covering letter in the supporting statement box or write my covering letter into the supporting statement box and write a brief covering letter? Thanks!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hi there ZCoper!
    For future reference, I need to tell you that you should really start a new thread, rather than sticking this on the end of an old one, as you can't be sure I'll go back and open an old thread.
    Now to your question. My advice is to do neither!
    If you read the information in the clickables inside the Welcome thread How to Get Shortlisted and How Not to Get Shortlisted, you'll see that I do NOT recommend writing See letter or See CV on a form. If we've done a form ,it's because we want you to fill it in! If you can't be bothered to give us the information we ask for, why should we bother to dig for it?
    What I suggest that you do is to put your executive summary on the form (if you don't know what this is, read the clickables . . .), and then do your letter of application separately. This latter should most certainly be specific to this post, and if you've done your exec summ first, then writing a good application letter that focusses clearly on what they need should be a doddle.
    Very best wishes