1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letter of Application for Sixth Form Art Teacher

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by CreativeADT, Feb 6, 2020.

1. CreativeADT

CreativeADT New commenter

Hi everyone

I am interested in a part-time role teaching A level art at a sixth form college that is academically selective, but not private.

How do I write my letter of application?! I've been at my current school for 7 years and now have completely different skills and experience, as well as different needs for my new role.

Currently I am Head of ADT full time and I'm looking for a new direction in life. I'm keen to reduce the workload and pressure, take more time for my own practice and develop my sixth form teaching.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!
    Thank you

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My first suggestion is that you do NOT say in the letter "I'm keen to reduce the workload and pressure,".

A school isn´t interested in giving you the job for your benefit, it wants to know how giving you the job will benefit their students.

" take more time for my own practice" - you can say this if you develop it into how this will be of benefit to students, rather than just you.

"develop my sixth form teaching." Again, this is putting the emphasis on you, not on the students. Think how to reword this into supporting sixth formers into identifying and developing their skills, talents and creativity . . .

Can you see the logic behind what I'm saying here?

You might find it helpful to download (onto a kindle, or the free kindle app on a PC, tablet or phone) from Amazon a book on applying for a teaching job. Be careful! Not just any job, a teaching job, and not one aimed at American readers, their school system just isn´t the same. Choose one with lots of 5-star reviews. http://bit.do/5StarBooks

Best of luck!

3. CreativeADT

CreativeADT New commenter

Thanks TheoGriff! I thought I’d replied to your helpful message. Apologies that it didn’t send. Thank you! I have an interview now! I’m excited and nervous.

The job involves Edexcel A level Art, my current workplace delivers OCR. This will be straightforward to research.

The students are selected academically. While my current sixth form is technically selective, the requirements are not high and rules are bent to ensure we have sufficient students to fund the sixth form. We do have some student with very strong gcse results and some of those take art, so here I have plenty to say.

I suppose I’m nervous about delivering a lesson at A level and at interview! I am not teaching the A level in my school this year as I’m focusing on level 3 extended diploma btec. I also have t had an interview for 7 years!

Any advice would be really appreciated from those with focused A level experience.

thanks!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting the interview - they have clearly been impressed by you!

For any A-level interview lesson you need to be flexible. Have a lesson plan that will allow you to adapt to the level that the students are at and also provide individual less or more challenging tasks if you identify these needs. Show these clearly on the plan and make sure that you take extra copies to push into the hands of the observers.

Also, be prepared to answer "How did the lesson go, what would you change next time?" to show that you are reflective about your teaching. You might find this useful http://bit.do/Click_2

Do you have a portfolio to take along? Examples of your personal art work, and above all examples of student work. It could be an actual physical one, or on a tablet. And talk about creativity . . .

Best of luck!