1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letter of application for internal post

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by eurythmic, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I am thinking of applying for an internal position that has become available (2nd in faculty). I am about to start writing my letter of application and was wondering if you would write the letter any differently for an internal post than an external one? Anyone got any exemplars to share?
    Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Hi,
    I am thinking of applying for an internal position that has become available (2nd in faculty). I am about to start writing my letter of application and was wondering if you would write the letter any differently for an internal post than an external one? Anyone got any exemplars to share?
    Thanks in advance for any help!

3. I have been in a similar position in the past and focused my letter of application on my vision of the role and how I thought I could develop the role - you have the luxury of you not having to waste words on your background /qualifications / experience etc

4. Dear Theo,
    I am also applying for an internal post ( a horizontal move from one temporary post to another to prolong my stay). I don't know how to describe what I've been doing, without telling them things they already know. I've only been at the school for 3 months, so it's not long since they read my last application. Do I treat it as though they know nothing, or should I use phrases such as "As you know?"
    Any help would be appreciated!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You have got right to the heart of the situation!
    You actually HAVE to tell them things that they already know. You mustn't think: I don't need to say that, they know it already, they know everything that I do.
    Treat an internal application EXACTLY like an external one, bot the written application and the interview.
    So rush to the Welcome thread and read the shortlisting clickables, then get to work!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars