1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

letter of application for AHT what to leave out ... HELP again please!!!

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by edwina123456, May 15, 2011.

1. hello,
    i've written my letter of application for the post of AHT ... but i've got far too many words, mostly because i've put in lots of evidence of leadership and to show i've achieved my targets.
    is evidence necessary? eg i've put in gcse results data and examples of measures i've taken to improve pupil transition from primary to secondary school ...
    could i put these in an appendix? or would that count as too many words/pages?
    or, alternatively, should i/could i save these til the interview?
    apologies if i sound dumb, i've been at this all weeeeeeeeekend!!
    thanks for all,
    edwina

2. Limit to 2xA4, font 10, wide margins & header footer. Can be penalised if you write more & interview panel may have 100's to read. Title 'Supporting Statement' so don't put address or sign it. Make a statement - back it up eg I have a proven record of raising standards eg ... Give one eg per sub heading and at the end say you would welcome the opportunity to provide more info if invited to interview. Don't forget to make it sound personal and different- what makes you stand out when you read this? Could be many competitors with ace data!

3. yayyyyyyyyyyyy! thank you soooooo much!!!
    i know there will be a lot of competition. i don't mind if i don't get it. it's my first application and i 'm applying because it's there and i'm bored and i need a challenge and i know i could do it if they'd let me !!
    you are very helpful - wise words of wisdom ...

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You might like to pop over to the JobSeekersForum and read the clickables inside the Welcome thread.
    Good advice there for writing applications - and for preparing for that interview!
    Best of luck

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, although Julia is thinking of organising some more.

A new SLT Job Application seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!