1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

letter of application/cover letter

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by annaliddell, Apr 11, 2011.

1. annaliddell

annaliddell New commenter

Helloo!
    I am currently a PGCE student and starting to apply for jobs...
    Kind of struggling with a cover letter... what information do you put in? What do you save for the application form/interview? Should it just be one side of A4 or 2?
    I am getting lots of mixed thoughts and feelings on this and just wanted some advice really...
    Thanks,
    Anna

2. annaliddell

Helloo!
    I am currently a PGCE student and starting to apply for jobs...
    Kind of struggling with a cover letter... what information do you put in? What do you save for the application form/interview? Should it just be one side of A4 or 2?
    I am getting lots of mixed thoughts and feelings on this and just wanted some advice really...
    Thanks,
    Anna

3. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

Hi Anna
    What do the instructions say for the job you're applying for? Or does it leave it all helpfully vague? I've had a few like that!
    If you haven't been there already, the Jobseekers forum is really helpful for these queries.
    Good luck!

4. On the person specification it should indicate where they are looking for evidence for each criteria - either application form, personal statement, interview, or reference (often a combination of two or more). My personal statements have all been 2 sides of A4, size 11, 1.5 spaced: you should be able to fit all the information you need in that space, although it will probably need some crafty editing; remember, the people who read these have to read a lot of them (the last position I was interviewed for had 70 applicants) so being concise and cutting out the waffle is recommended. Good luck!

5. annaliddell

Thanks for your help!
    It is all so complicated and confusing!!!
    The person specification was a big help though - thanks! :)
    Some application forms make it even more complicated by asking questions like this....
    "Please use this space to give information in support of your application for this post. You may wish to include details of any interests, experience, responsibilities or educational philosophy, which you may consider relevant"
    - Most of this stuff i have put in my letter!
    Think I just need time to perfect the process!
    Thanks again!

6. Generally, methods of application come in two varieties: application form and personal statement, and CV and covering letter.
    If you have included a personal statement, then your covering letter does not need to be as long, or cover as much personal information: it's just a statement of intent to apply for the job. If the school are asking for a CV, then the covering letter should follow the 2 sides of A4 format. You don't need to do a personal statement AND a detailed covering letter.

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The prospects.ac.uk website has a useful guide on getting your first teaching post and the unions all produce guides and information. The TES has a first teacher magazine which can be downloaded. In addition your university careers service can help
    Please keep your letter to 2 sides A4 maximum and watch out for spelling and grammar
    Above all personalise the application so it refers directly to the school or LA ( if applying to a pool). Do not start
    " I have always wanted to be a teacher ...."

8. robmusicman

robmusicman New commenter

I know that at my school, the school seceratary reads through the application before its passed on, and if there are any grammatical or spelling errors, it goes straight in the bin! I was advised to keep it to one page by my head of department, but again it depends on what the application requires. I found that I could write more by making the margins narrower, and using a smaller font - you do have to be rather crafty!

In terms of readability, try not to start each paragraph in the same way, as it gets very tiring to read, and try not to use the same word too often. I think doing that will also cause you to use a wider vocabulary in your letter, making it look better!
    Of course I'm just a PGCE student, so by no means an expert, just take/ignore what advice you like!