1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letter of Application and Supporting Information

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jfhiggins1, Jan 30, 2017.

1. jfhiggins1

jfhiggins1 New commenter

Hi,
    I am a newly qualified teacher pushing out applications for all kinds of positions in my local area. I have come across a bit of confusion within one application I am filling out. one section of the application form states:

"LETTER OF APPLICATION Please enclose a letter of application. Please refer to the applicant information pack which may include instructions on completion of the letter of application."
    and another section that follows states:

"OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION IN SUPPORT OF YOUR APPLICATION EXPERIENCE, INTERESTS AND SKILLS (no more than 3 sides of A4)"

I'm slightly unsure of what to include in each section as normally I provide my personal statement which is then altered and bulked out to reflect the attributes I carry, fitting the job description/person specification. This I am assuming is relevant for the second section on "other relevant information".

So what do I include in my letter of application? Is this similar to a covering letter?

Thanks for your help and advice in advance.

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

A letter of application and a personal statement cover the same ground.
    In this case the letter of application should pick up the job spec requirements- keep it short 1-2 sides A4 max 10 + font size
    For support statement go into more depth about any relevant work experience and particularly your training experience. Emphasise your strengths, what you have learnt and how your teaching skills are developing. Getting your first teaching job from the University Careers Service is a useful read