1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letter of application and personal statement?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by laura198, Mar 10, 2018.

1. laura198

laura198 New commenter

I’m applying for a job at an Indy. Advert says to send a letter of application, CV and the application form. Fine... but the application form also has a personal statement box?

Happy with the letter of application but then what do I do with the personal statement box?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

There are many possibilities, but this is what I would do:
    Personal statement: how I meet all the bits of the person spec
    Letter: Why I'm the perfect candidate for the school and the role and my philosophy and all that

Actually if it wants a CV, I tend not to bother applying!

3. laura198

laura198 New commenter

Thank you. That’s what I was thinking. I would love to get away with just a ‘how I fit the person spec’ table but perhaps I ought to write it properly...

I agree the CV is a waste of time. But it’s already just about there and I want the job!

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

LOL I always think schools should just send the person spec as a table, with all their bits in one column and applicants just fill in the other column with bullet points.
    Then a quick one page letter about philosophy and a short form to check qualifications and all that jazz and that's it. Done!

Best of luck.