1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letter names vs Letter Sounds

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Msz, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm not sure why he needs to know the letter names to order letters alphabetically [​IMG] or how alphabetical order will help him to blend and segment.
    Sorry but my thoughts are your SENCO doesn't know what he/she is doing

2. And I agree with Msz's comments![​IMG]

3. Katille

Katille New commenter

Could not agree more.

4. A child who has not yet got to grips with blending to the extent that this has caused some concern does not need to have the added complication of letter names and alphabetical order thrown into the mix.
    This child needs to be focused on seeing the graphemes and saying the sounds to automaticity and plenty of saying the sounds all through the printed words.
    And plenty of modelling by the adult saying the sounds to enable him to discern the words.

5. Msz

I would ask the SENCO to explain why he/she thinks this will help ...

6. Msz

I would ask the SENCO to explain why he/she thinks this will help ...

7. It looks as though your SEN co-ordinator has had 'dyslexia' training. You will find that the SpLD training given for dyslexia leaves the people trained with a fixation on the need to 'know' the names of the alphabet letters and alphabetical order. No amount of pointing out to them that neither letter names nor alphabetical order have any relevance at all to the process of decoding and blending has any effect on this belief. Their training says 'letter names and alphabetical order are what dyslexics need to know' so it must be right...
    Please avoid letter names and alphbetical order and concentrate on learning correspondences, decoding and blending. I work at KS3 with all our feeder primarys' 'hardest to teach' pupils! I have never yet encountered a child who cannot decode and blend. Some just need far more practice than you would ever think necessary, but most do get there in the end. (N.B There most definitely are children who can't decode and blend, but they are extremely rare)

8. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Your SENCO sounds nutty, but better than the one who I sought advice from in a secondary school for a child who needed to develop his reading and writing skills because a visual impairment had been allowed to hold him back. She told me to send him cross-country running as he needed more exercise.
    Trouble is it would be good for you to get him some one to one help I suppose, and if the SENCO methods are a bit bananas, you are a bit stuck. Are his parents useful if sent home with the right sort of things to practice? And how do tell them you don't agree with the sENCO I wonder. Mmmmmmmm............... a diplomatic nightmare.

9. The Senco probably was trained with the Hickey programme which makes a point of teaching letter names and alphabetical order; do you understand now why I question it? Most of the dyslexia industry would agree completely with her suggestion and regard anyone who questioned it as being bananas.

10. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I haven't bought the Hickey programme so I did not realised that was an important part of it. Can't that bit be dropped until a more appropriate time depending on the learner?