1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letter formation query

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by starjin5, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Hi

Hope everyone has enjoyed their first week back. I teach reception and currently this year have 21 boys! And 9 girls! Last year my children were all eager writers but their letter formation was not the best and this is something I need to improve on. My query is with regards to letter formation, I will begin teaching my JP phonics next week- 4 letters a week, I always do air writing, and of course will have sand paper letters, marble formation letters etc for children to use during CI. There will also be tweezers, pegboards, etc as I am aware that of course the majority of children will need to develop their fine motor skills. Do you think I should do small group letter formation practise as of next week, or teach letter formation in their families later in the term? I am keen to hear your thoughts.

Hope this all makes sense, my brain feels like mush, did I mention I have 21 boys lol.
    Thanks

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

When I introduce a new sound we rehearse the formation by air writing it repeating the formation patter as we do it. Then we use the index finger of the hand we hold our pencil in and rehearse the formation on paper until the finger tip feels warm (saying the formation patter). Next we cool the finger down rehearsing the letter on the table top and we complete a large "rainbow" letter using one colour on top of another (with the target of making black - ensures children practise a number of times) and finally we write the letters on handwriting lines in small groups to ensure children start in the correct place and move in the correct direction.

3. Wow! I just love all of that MSZ thanks!