1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Let's tweet Gove about controlled c/work

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by delhaye, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Hello All,
    as many MFL teachers are really cheesed off about controlled coursework. Let's all tweet Micheal Gove at #askgove and urged him to ditch it asap.
    It is a long shot but I really feel that kids are being let down by the whole system. Also, teachers are fed up with "teaching to the test" or seeing malpractice becoming endemic.
    Could we get ALL to sign up it too?

2. Hello All,
    as many MFL teachers are really cheesed off about controlled coursework. Let's all tweet Micheal Gove at #askgove and urged him to ditch it asap.
    It is a long shot but I really feel that kids are being let down by the whole system. Also, teachers are fed up with "teaching to the test" or seeing malpractice becoming endemic.
    Could we get ALL to sign up it too?

3. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

The last straw for us this week was when we had parents of Y10s complaining to the school about our teaching methods because"learning a page of French isn't the way to teach a language". We were like "WE KNOW!!!". And my department and I really make a lot of effort NOT to just teach to the test, we try and make sure the pupils are developing good language skills and building up a bank of vocab and key structures that they can use to improvise a bit in the CAs rather than trying to get them to just memorise what they've written. I hate to think how bad it is in the schools I've heard of where teachers are expected to more or less write the tasks for the pupils and then send them away to memorise it.

4. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

In an <strike>exam factory</strike> school I used to work in teaching to the test was considered good practice. That's because the HT at the time was obsessed with exam results. As for your last sentence, we called that modelling, i.e. providing a model answer which they just adapted or if they couldn't be bothered we adapted it for them. Again, this was good teaching.
    It's nothing of the sort. It's cheating.<font face="Tahoma"> </font>