1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Let's talk class sizes!

Discussion in 'Shape the agenda' started by A_Million_Posts, Jul 3, 2019.

1. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

Labour education policy is to cut class sizes for 5-7 year olds to less than 30. It's part of their National Education Service. Will this have any impact or should policy be in favour of an even bigger cut?

Labour Education Policy

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Less than 30?
    So around 29 then, with an extra one or two from appeals?

To make a real difference you'd need to have class sizes below 20, still with a very good full time TA working alongside the teacher.
    However this isn't cost effective and so won't happen.

3. ajrowing

ajrowing Occasional commenter

If we each class was below 20, could the time be used more productively so less time would be needed in school?

4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I think it would be effective educationally, but it would be "too expensive" to implement.

JohnJCazorla, nomad and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

i think it's probably cost effective if you look at the impact education has on later life. Invest money at the start and reap the benefits in lower government intervention in later years.
    Is there anyone who has that as an educational policy?

01ade likes this.
  6. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I know a local school with maximum class sizes of 24 (God knows how they afford it!). The teachers I know who work there seem a lot less stressed, parents sing the school's praises and when I've been round the kids seem very happy. Results are also incredible (well above average in all areas) despite having really low starting points. Class size does make an impact. It would be interesting to see where those children end up over the long term.

However, as a previous poster says, it would be too expensive to do on a large scale as more schools would need to be opened and that simply won't happen.

Catgirl1964, 01ade, ViolaClef and 2 others like this.
  7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I thought we had promises like this years ago until the Tories got their mitts on "education" again in 2010?

8. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

No it's gone to personal; hardly seems to be the right place.

9. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

But you might need 50% more schools.

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

There were. 30 was to be the maximum. A bit like Cross-curricular themes that disappeared.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Not necessarily a downside, nor would the need for more teachers be a downside.

12. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Hald a trillion pounds on building new schools might be difficult to find.

13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

In my experience (secondary) any reduction below 30 is welcome, and anything under 25 (KS3) or 20 (KS4) makes a significant difference to both pupils and the teachers.

Catgirl1964, 01ade, Sally006 and 5 others like this.
  14. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

If it was likely to be a vote winner with Tory party members I'm sure Hunt and Johnson would promise it. However I expect most of their grandchildren attend private schools so it wouldn't be worth promising.

15. doteachershavesuperpowers

doteachershavesuperpowers Occasional commenter

Lots more schools with lots more teachers. Doesn't help that all the teachers seem to be leaving for abroad or quitting the profession altogether.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  16. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

Don't know why they don't just block us from starting threads since we're clearly not allowed.

17. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Class size is definitely dictated by educational policy and therefore the budget given. This is a valid discussion.

My preference for class size was around 24. More manageable for marking and individual attention for the pupil (primary ). I once had a class of 15. Great from a marking viewpoint but strangely not great for class interactions and discussion. I’ve also had 34 at KS2. Very little time for any individual discussions or teaching.

agathamorse and Wotton like this.
  18. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

I haven't had a class below 32 for 18 years!

agathamorse likes this.
  19. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

Of course you can afford to cut class sizes. It’s just a matter of priorities. I taught in Victoria from 1974 to 2007. I never had a class of 30 students, much less one of more than 30, and there were only two years in which I had a class of more than 25, way back in 1976 and 1981.

The rules in Victoria are that Foundation-2 classes should be capped at 21, each primary school’s classes overall should average no more than 26, and secondary classes should be capped at 25. I say “should” rather than “must” because the rules are looser than they were in my time – because teachers have lost the concept of professional solidarity and thus the union is weak.

We also have lower maximum secondary teaching loads – there is a weird index system that effectively caps loads at 19.2 hours, including home groups and extras – and the same primary maximum load of 22.5 hours. Our teachers are also better paid, at $102,778 (c£57,500) for the top unpromoted classroom teacher.

We have a Labor government that has genuinely made education its number one priority, with extra billions being poured into it and a fantastic education minister, the best for 35 years at least, so politics has made the difference.

Sally006 and agathamorse like this.
  20. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

According to OECD Education at a Glance 2017, the average class size in the UK is 27 for government primary schools and 20 for government lower secondary schools (Table D2.1d). The primary figure is substantially higher than the OECD average, while the secondary figure is lower than it. However, everything I read on this site tells me that secondary classes are commonly in the 30s, so I doubt the accuracy of the OECD figure, which prompts the question as to how it has been calculated.