1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Let’s replace religious assembly in schools with a ‘thought for the day’

Discussion in 'Education news' started by FrankWolley, Aug 20, 2019.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Sally006 and BetterNow like this.
  2. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

Surely the best thing would to be to forbid schools from imposing any moral view or worldview that was either not consented to (e.g. Christian parents consent to their children being brought up in those values by being sent to a Church school) or which are not provable by fact (which includes many "humanist" values).

BetterNow likes this.
  3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

This change happened around 20+ years ago, as far as I am aware.

Can't think why it would be considered a new suggestion, or current idea right now.

actually, maybe closer to 30 years ago

Lidnod likes this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

So if a parent says 'I don't believe the US landed on the moon' or 'I don't believe the holocaust happened during WW2' the school couldn't teach their children that?:eek:

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Thought for the week in the mainstream school I knew well.

6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Aside from when i worked in Catholic school, I do remember any religious assemblies.

7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

The last proper religious assembly I remember was July 1969
    1970-1971 they were just general moral ramblings from the (alcoholic) Headmistress..

All my working life they have been either general information sessions, TFTD, or just a moan/telling off over whatever has happened the previous week.

Edit: actually, for some reason, I’m now feeling a bit nostalgic for those religious assemblies of my youth

hhhh likes this.
  8. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Don’t teach any moral view? :eek: There needs to be some way of educating children about what is right and wrong - theft, murder, discrimination etc - and this might not have been done at home.

For what it’s worth, I haven’t seen any religious assemblies in many years (secondary schools). Assemblies are much more to do with teaching against racism, sexism, homophobia etc.

9. lizziescat

Musing on my previous post .
    I’m thinking that , strangely, the religious assemblies of my youth were far less of an imposition of anything compared to the later non religious assemblies of the schools I was working in.

The religious assemblies were a standard format of reading, hymn, prayer - much of which was probably not fully understood by us pupils.
    The non religious thought for the day , telling off etc were far more ‘hectoring’ and ‘thou shalt not’ etc than the routinised religious ones.

hmmmm’

Laphroig and peter12171 like this.
  10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You cannot be serious. Moral viewpoints by their very nature are not provable by fact. Can you show us how 'You must not kill' is provable by fact'? Or 'You must not steal'?

lizziescat likes this.
  11. lizziescat

I’ve always thought that one of the most important aspects of education is to show children alternative ideas etc to their (inevitably) narrow family experience.
    A good education gives children/adults choice. Choice requires knowledge of alternatives.

For some of my pupils I hope teachers gave them an idea (role model?) of a different type of adult to the one they experienced in their parents.

Yup, that’s a moral viewpoint.

12. sabram86

Read what I posted. Parents should be able to object to the teaching of what is not fact. The moon landings are fact; personal mores are not.

13. sabram86

No, but I can tell you about the consequences. Steal or kill and you might go to prison.

If property is theft, what is theft but instant redistribution?

14. Rott Weiler

Are you claiming that concepts of 'right' and 'wrong' shouldn't be taught?

That children shouldn't be taught to not to steal, for example? Does whether it's OK to steal depend on the likelihood of them being caught?

That the moon landings were a "fact" is only your opinion. Many people believe the Apollo 11 landings weren't a fact, they were faked (I'm not one of them!). Who decides what's a fact and what isn't in your proposed regime?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  15. sabram86

Replacing one set of unfounded opinions (religion) with another (humanism, presumably) isn't terribly progressive, really.

A fact is verifiable or it can be reasonably inferred. Get a powerful enough telescope and you can see the remains of the missions to the moon. Simple really.

16. sabram86

Right and wrong are individual or communal judgements. Pupils should learn about the law and the consequences of criminality, but morals are beyond the state's remit.

17. Rott Weiler

What a remarkably naïve view you have of what a "fact" is, and who would want to live in the amoral world you are proposing, stripped of concepts of right or wrong. Or are you actually the marketing department for Lord of the Flies?

bessiesmith2 likes this.
  18. sabram86

Yegods.

I don't live in an amoral world, but I object to state power being used to advocate anything other than fact, without people's permission.

Do you not believe in fact? What's wrong with leaving morals and values to individuals and the communities to which they belong?

19. Rott Weiler

Schools are not part of the community then? No role for them in teaching community values?

20. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

You don't see schools as part of the communities to which they belong?

What happens when the moral compass of the parents is in an opposing direction to the rest of society?