1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Let's petition the new education sectretary, Mr Williamson!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by tandemtinker, Jul 28, 2019.

1. tandemtinker

tandemtinker New commenter

At a recent review by my headteacher, I was strongly advised to improve my weekly/daily planning! I'm a Y6 teacher of many years; the point of discussion centred on my teaching of "angles on a straight line and reflex- angles around a central point"...…..a maths' topic I've covered 100s of times. The head asked me where the starting point was to the lesson and why I hadn't written down questions I would ask the children. Surely , Mr Williamson, experienced teachers don't have to write verbatim lesson plans!...yes,NQTs should be asked to, as they are starting out, but, with over 35 years of teaching, I shouldn't have to prove I'll teach the children that there are 180 degrees on a straight line! Yes, I took the non-aggressive stance and agreed that I would expand my planning in September! How I'll fit it in, what with my 3- colour pen marking of everything the Y6s complete, I really don't know! Let us, (experienced staff,) get on with straight forward teaching rather than the endless bureaucracy we are now faced with, Mr Education Secretary! Please!!

2. gainly

gainly Senior commenter

It sounds more like an idiot HT than something to petition the education secretary about. I'm sure he has more important things to worry about such as what to feed his pet tarantula.

Laphroig and schoolsout4summer like this.
  3. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

My thoughts exactly.

4. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

And anyway, there'll probably be a new education sec within six months.

5. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

I don't think so.

6. 01ade

01ade New commenter

I don’t think there is a need to petition education secretary for this. The HT is definitely looking for something else other than this.

7. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Without a fairly detailed lesson plan the only way the HT will be assured you have a plenary and have thought about how you will proceed etc would be to arrange an observation. I doubt telling an Ofsted inspector that teachers have reached a standard that obviates the need for a written plan will cut much ice, so the HT feels obliged to broach the subject. Tedious - but the system such as it is requires documented evidence. Maybe you have an archive after 35 years of old lesson planning you could present as evidence?

8. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

I'm afraid I find this kind of argument a little backwards and it was the endless justification with regard to results and evidence collation for any who failed to achieve their 'exceptional' target that made be realise that it was time to go. My last year of focusing less on the requirements of the management and therefore able to spend more on the needs of the children made me realise how counter-productive so much of it can be.

Any HT that relies on paper lessons over observation and knowledge of their staff isn't one I'd want to work for. Their primary concern should be that the children are getting a quality education and not whether they have enough evidence to cover their backsides when an inspector decides to probe them.

9. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

I agree 100%. If you are well regarded as being a good teacher and your class has above average attendance /behaviour with good SATs results, the HT should rightly be justified in saying that the results speak for themselves. Unfortunately that is not dissimilar to a maths paper being marked down because they did not show how they got the right result.

simonCOAL likes this.
  10. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Exactly.

This is no different to asking a bus driver to write out their route before each journey, even though they’ve driven it hundreds of times.

alexmurraybrown likes this.
  11. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

But don’t we all do this? Not saying it’s right... just saying.