1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lets make use of this time!!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Cosmic_Rainbow, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

I know that it is super duper frustrating that no one has had a response but this has giving us the perfect opportunity to make damn sure were ready if we do get through to the interview stage.
    I thought it would be nice to share what we have been doin to prepare and mayb give each other ideas on what else they can do.
    Currently I have been observing lessons, talking to teachers, looking over the National Curriculum website, reading articals in the tes, making notes on current issues, started reading the white paper, looking through textbooks to refresh my knowledge

2. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

I know that it is super duper frustrating that no one has had a response but this has giving us the perfect opportunity to make damn sure were ready if we do get through to the interview stage.
    I thought it would be nice to share what we have been doin to prepare and mayb give each other ideas on what else they can do.
    Currently I have been observing lessons, talking to teachers, looking over the National Curriculum website, reading articals in the tes, making notes on current issues, started reading the white paper, looking through textbooks to refresh my knowledge

3. josiejosie

josiejosie New commenter

That's a good, positive way to look at it!
    I know that in my own circumstances the delay has allowed me to arrange my CRB and some observation that I wouldn't have had time to do otherwise.
    Similarly to you, I've subscribed to the TES and am reading all I can, keep looking over the National Curriculum (though find it quite difficult to interpret), have read through the White Paper and made notes, investigated some of the course texts and have talked to everyone I can think of who can help!
    I've also looked into agencies and charities for part time additional work and voluntary bits and pieces I can do with Secondary age kids using my subject area (Art).
    It seems like there's a bottomless amount we can do!

4. harderfaster

harderfaster New commenter

Just a quick tip for you guys (well not so much of a tip as a statement!)...

Nothing about the NC or the WP came up in my interview. We were expected to be able to express an opinion on a recent issue of some sort (in my case, academies) but you won't be expected to know the NC in detail etc.

Obviously all preparation is good preparation but my advice would be don't stress yourself out reading the small print, read the TES, Guardian Education and BBC Education articles to get a fairly broad range of views on things and make sure you've nailed the interview practice questions!

5. I had my interview last year and I got deferred, but I'm sure interviews haven't changed that much.
    I got advice from a friend who was doing a PGCE at the time and she gave me a lot of info about the NC; I basically read it over and over again. I got into the interview and backed up all my ideas and experience with aspects of Every Child Matters and SHEEP etc, but the interviewer just told me to be myself and not to rely so much on the NC - he wanted to hear my views and my opinions.
    I got an offer and he also deferred me (which doesn't usually happen) so I didn't do that bad!