1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lets lose weight....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I thank you. I was doing OK till I took my Home Bargains fibre-based hunger suppressants. They do warn you to take them with a glass and a half of water. This I did and they muted the pangs quite successfully for £3 for 2 packs.
    BUT sooner or later, you (or in this case, I) will go all faint if not enough calories are there. It's all OK expecting Yr body to break down the blubber, but it's not an instantaneous process.

Pfff proper eating day tomorrow. Omnomnomnom.

jellycowfish and vannie like this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've really lost the taste for some of the very unhealthy things I used to eat I have to say.

Lets see what happens when school re-starts

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It’s interesting that you can stop enjoying things you used to like. Sugar in drinks for example, or creamy sauces, or fried foods.

ShowerGel and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I gave up Sugar in drinks when I was doing my Ph.D in Canada. I used to have quite a lot of sugar in my beverages but then I developed a terrible toothache and had to have some rather painful remedial work done.

I stopped immediately and have never returned to it.

I walked past a whole rack of very hot and fresh Sausage Rolls this morning - managed to resist I'm pleased to say.

Aquamarina1234 and Corvuscorax20 like this.
  5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Tuesday is weigh in day. 14st 3,4lb 2 lb down on last week.

6. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

It's great when that happens isn't it?

“Even Socrates, who lived a very frugal and simple life, loved to go to the market. When his students asked about this, he replied, "I love to go and see all the things I am happy without.”

― Jack Kornfield

Dunteachin and ShowerGel like this.
  7. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Bravo

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Black coffee...

Drink it when hungry.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Me too...well dusk, can't be faffing with sorting out lights.

And got up at ridiculous o'clock to to this morning as well.
    Still over 20, but manageable and actually really quiet and fresh.

10. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

fantastic

fantastic

I was wavering over strawberry yoghurt, but I've come here and read what you guys have done, and it makes me feel stronger.

11. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

It would be better still if no one ate dairy products (cow's milk/cheese etc) and drank loads of coffee everyday - saturated fat and being drugged up with caffeine isn't the way forward. Having no dairy products will not harm anyone apart from crave the desire of a taste once enjoyed. Caffeine - drinking one cup less per day with a view to one a day should be exercised simply because of heart regulation and reducing the amount of time the brain filters out the stimulant and the side effects of being hyper and then experiencing deep lows and mood swings.
    Listen, it is a case of each to his/her own but there are strong arguments against eating animal fats in high quantities and the myth that we all get our calcium from milk, cheese, yogurts etc...avoid cow's milk and opt for the milks from nuts and seeds. Green leafy veg, brown pasta/rice, lentils/pulses/seasoned, married with rice or potatoes - control the portions, will see everyone right. Think plate: Half veg/fruit/salad; 1/4 protein; 1/4 good carbs (brown..not white refined stuff). Eat fruits first thing, drink turmeric tea and 4-6 glasses of water before lunch. If having one cup of coffee have this before 1pm to give the body time to filter the effects of caffeine out. Aim to eat for your future - portion control is where it's at. Don't see losing the weight as a temporary measure. Your future self is the investment. Maintaining/Keeping the weight off is the hardest part.

Just giving good advice. Take it or leave it. Well done to all who have lost weight.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think you are mor giving opinion and there is nothing wrong with that. But other people can think differently and still be healthy.

Nothing wrong with dairy products such as milk at all. I accept that butter and cheese need to be seen as treat foods, but avoiding all dairy is not necessary for good health, though many choose it for all kinds of reasons.
    I enjoy oat milk, especially in coffee, but not in tea. So generally there is both in the fridge.
    If I'm having some kind of coffee or chocolate based alcohol then diluting it with either oat or dairy milk is delicious. (And saves the alcohol calories and poison!)

I only have decaff when making my own coffee and tea and when decaf diet coke is available, but that's a personal choice. I don't like the effect caffeine has on me, so tend to avoid it. I wouldn't start telling others they should do so.

There are a zillion ways to be healthy and people need to find the right way for them or they'll never stick with it.

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Boast, boast, boast.

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I was going to suggest sweating.

15. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

It's relatively difficult to get enough calcium from a dairy free diet. You can get enough to live but may be deficient in the long term.

Also, food isn't just about nutrition. It's one of life's great pleasures, and taking that away on the off chance that you're a bit healthier, which you might not be, is really sad and a bit self defeating. I always think that if people concentrated more on making delicious food, and not too much of it, then the healthy thing would solve itself. And by making I mean making.

16. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

What about osteoperosis? You need some dairy products to maintain healthy, strong bones.

17. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

And also, people confuse having a nutrient IN a food with being able to get it OUT of that food. Some leafy veg may have calcium in it, but it isn't easy for our bodies to extract

monicabilongame, nizebaby and vannie like this.
  18. vannie

vannie Star commenter

You do you. I'll do me. A nice mug of coffee with cream in it gets me going in the morning.

19. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Food is food, not medicine. I loathe the medicalisation (new word, yes I know) of food. Let's hear it for a balanced diet with an occasional treat. Forget superfoods.

20. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Crankiness and faddism exist in a world that is spoilt for choice.