1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lets lose weight....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Jul 25, 2020.

1. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Well if she bought them, she can eat them.

But having them around the place isn't ideal, it has to be said. It seems to be common advice to get all such things out of your house, so that you can't give in to temptation.

If you pass this test peakster, you'll be stronger than ever...

2. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Do something else so that you forget about being hungry.

Clearing and tidying some disorganized cupboard or whatever is always good for the morale.

3. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

be careful in the heat, won't you. I can't exercise when it gets as hot as this

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I don't mind the heat actually.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Weigh-in this morning and 2lb gone. If I'd lost another 0.1 of an ounce, I'd have nudged into the next stone.

6. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

Well done Aquamarina and to everyone else who is embarking on weight loss .
    I had a sudden thought the other day - yes , I know steady, however , it seemed to me that teachers or educational workers ( the word workers came out as worriers first time around) , struggle with weight issues and I can't help wondering if the lack of eating and hurried breaks or non existent breaks fuel the stress hormone cortisol . It is known that stress as well as causing weight loss can also cause weight gain - especially around the middle and interfere with the insulin mechanism . As I said just a thought . So, please be kind to yourselves. Yes, by all means revisit your diets and ways and times of how you eat but be mindful too about the environment in which you work and how that may have an impact on how you process stress and food .
    Lastly , can anyone suggest a good pair of scales to weigh myself with .
    I'm being very careful and eating well but making good choices about when and how I eat so I'd be interested to see , especially as I'm on a steroid reduction plan if I can lose weight or if I have to wait until I'm off of the little blighters .

sunshineneeded likes this.
  7. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

If you'd had the foresight to inhale a lungful of helium before getting on the scales you'd have made it.to the next stone.

Aquamarina1234 and Corvuscorax20 like this.
  8. Corvuscorax20

well done, how exciting

sunshineneeded and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Corvuscorax20

I totally agree, stress at work certainly contributes to weight problems,

Something else shown to increase weight is not sleeping enough, and I'm chronically sleep deprived during term time

vannie likes this.
  10. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

Someone may have already said this but make sure your plate, a medium sized one, is half filled with green veg, salad, or mixed coloured veg/salads and use dressings like lemon juice, a tsp of olive oil or canola, tsp of salt to drizzle over. Then quarter of the plate for carbs - rice, pots, pasta and the other quarter, protein of choice (fish/chicken/non fatty meats/lentils/pulses); avoid processed ready meals and go easy on dairy products - saturated fat is far too high. Best to drink water/green tea chilled into a cool drink is lovely - add maple syrup - tsp if you want a sweetness but go without if you can. One cup of coffee only per day, if you are inclined to drink coffee) and exercise three times per week and have a look on you tube for any fitness advice exercise because to shift the midriff tum, focused exercise on toning abs/means to keep back muscles strong. If one is to snack - be strict with yourself or just snack on fruit. Best carbs - brown pasta, rice, spelt, etc. Season your food, use onions and garlic for flavour and other seasonings to jazz up your food. The key to success in keeping the weight off is think, how long did it take for the weight to creep on? If it was a few months/years then realistically, losing the weight AND keeping it off (the hardest part of any regime) is going to take close to the same time. The eating plan you choose has to be a lifestyle change not temp. Good Luck everyone.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Norsemaid and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I thought we were supposed to lose the salt.

lindenlea likes this.
  12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Tim Spector questions this in his new book.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/aug/05/spoon-fed-by-tim-spector-review-food-myths-busted

And from the same book being reviewed in the DM:

"Myth: We all need to reduce our salt intake

We’ve been warned about the dangers of salt for some time. For the past 20 years, governments have been encouraging us to reduce our intake and we are told that reducing it to below 6 grams (one and a quarter teaspoons) a day is the key to reducing blood pressure, strokes and heart disease.

But any health benefits from reducing salt intake pale into insignificance next to the proven benefits of blood-pressure medications.

Anti-salt lobby groups, diet professionals and governments want us to believe that any health improvements are the result of their public health interventions rather than drugs.

For most healthy people, the reduction in blood pressure as a result of salt reduction is surprisingly small and clinically trivial.

But even if there was compelling evidence that low salt intakes led to long-term reductions in blood pressure, this would be significant only if this reduced risks of cardiovascular disease and death.

In fact, studies of salt reduction have not found any reduced risk of heart attacks, strokes and death.

But it doesn’t end there. Another shock came recently when randomised clinical trials of patients with diabetes on low-salt diets reported that, rather than getting better, patients were consistently dying earlier.

There’s no doubt that very high salt intakes are linked to higher rates of hypertension and heart disease, but much of this can be explained by people eating too much salty ultra-processed food, which are also laced with an array of other chemicals that can affect our long-term health. If you avoid ultra-processed burgers, burritos, pizzas and crisps, you can still enjoy food without guilt, and we should take current guidelines with a large, and surprisingly healthy, pinch of salt."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...R-TIM-SPECTOR-says-think-know-food-WRONG.html

anotherauntsally likes this.
  13. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

He appears to be questioning every single piece of advice for healthy eating ever given! A way to sell books for sure.

14. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Women need to ensure they eat a reasonable amount of lower fat dairy. Don't tar them all with the same brush.
    Bleeuughhhh
    I drink water when exercising, but that's all and green tea never.
    Decaff can be drunk as often as you like and there is some 'research' that shows caffeine can speed up metabolism in the very short term. (Probably as accurate as all other diet research, but hey some like to believe it.)

Clearly the very best way to lose weight is to lie on a sofa watching a grand prix and the after race interviews while eating a (bite size!!!) chocolate brownie, or three.
    Honest.
    Must be.
    Well I'm hoping.
    (I had cold turkey breast and salad for lunch so not a totally disastrous day.)

15. vannie

vannie Star commenter

That’s only one version of a good diet @br0wnsugar ... dairy and fat are actually very satiating. I would say up the protein and get your carbs as far as possible from the green leafys.

16. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Hope everyone staying on track with their weight loss and healthier lifestyles!

This morning

Weight 15 stone 3 lbs. Lost this week = 2lb, total = 7lb.

BMI = 34.2

17. Corvuscorax20

why only one cup of coffee? I drink loads!

18. Corvuscorax20

fantastic! I am about to post mine, I've lost 7lb in 2 weeks too

19. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Brilliant well done!

if only there was a safe and doable way to lose 7lb every two weeks

20. Corvuscorax20

heres me : 27th July 16 stone 8 BMI= 35.1
    3rd August 16 stone 4 BMI =34.5
    10th August 16 stone 1 BMi = 34.1

At this rate I will no longer be "obese" by the October half term. .:)

(merely "overweight") :oops:

After a quarter of a century, of being obese, I am determined I am going to do it this time.