1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lets it it for the courtesy of Hampshire drivers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I've had to do a lot of driving over the years. The chances are I've been through a town near you, but never stayed long enough to get a feel for local idiosyncrasies in driving habits.

I learned to drive in London, so was brought up on the dog eat dog nature of getting around the city. When I moved to Kent, I was surprised that it didn't need to be so aggressive, albeit there were more than enough impatient drivers to watch out for.

Now I've moved to Hampshire, it's like I've moved to another planet. I can't believe how sensible the majority of drivers here are. In two months, I haven't once been tailgated. Traffic merging does it like a zip. Never once heard a horn honk.

It's such a pleasant surprise, but don't get me wrong, there's just the same amount of traffic here and everyone needs to be somewhere. They drive fast when the opportunity allows, but without the grief. What's it all about? Has Hampshire County Council sprinkled magic dust on the roads or something?

I doubt this county is alone in having courteous drivers, but it's a real surprise to find it's not that far from my old stamping grounds, yet the bad driving habits I've been accustomed to haven't spread this far.

How would you rate your county in the driving courtesy stakes?

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I live in Kent near the motorway towards Dover (Gravesend), but traffic around here is okay but the motorway is filled with very impatient lorry drivers! Mr SK suggested a moped to the new school (I don't drive) but fortunately, there is a cycle path next to but not too near the motorway.

Hampshire is lovely, I worked in Portsmouth (Southsea) and it was beautiful especially the sunset and the old ships...sigh

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Driving in Warwickshire is generally more considerate than in the Manchester area and we noticed it frequently when we first moved. However - we're all so elderly where I live, I dread to think what driving down our streets will be like in a few years time. I don't plan to give up my car any time soon so I'll be the one taking 15mins to park.

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/tailgating-driver-astonished-to-discover-further-car-just-30-yards-ahead-20150908101781

"A TAILGATER on the fast lane of the M1 has been shocked to discover another car a short distance ahead of the one that was blocking him.

Nathan Muir, driving a red Alfa Romeo Giulietta, marvelled at the incredible coincidence of multiple cars being driven at about 80mph in the same lane.[/i]

He said: “I was cursing the guy ahead of me for tootling along like he’s on a Sunday drive in the Morris Austin back in 1956, but when he finally spots me flashing and hitting the horn I thought this is it, I’m clear all the way to Rugby.[/i]

“But no sooner have I floored the accelerator than I almost smash into this second car. I don’t know how it got there, but there it is.[/i]

“I can’t wait to get this one shifted out of my way, then I’ll burn like f*** down the fast lane for the next 130 miles like it’s a deserted post-apocalyptic highway.[/i]

“There’s no way there could be another car ahead of this one. The universe isn’t that cruel.”"[/i]

5. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

A plonker of an ex boyfriend, long time ago, did comment how remarkable it was that he kept catching up all the cars on the motorway.

6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Reminds me of a joke I once heard about an American hearing on the radio the police were looking to stop a nutter who was going up the motorway on the wrong side of the road. He then looks out of his window and says 'well they will be busy tonight, everyone is on the wrong side'.

Point being (light heartedly) that perhaps you are just finally driving in an area where everyone else drives as badly as you, so it all just flows?