1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lets ban all private cars from London - that would win my vote

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Exception for disabled badge holders, and work vehicles, minicabs, taxis, residents only allowed to drive on journies that take them out of London. Double the buses, we don't need cars in London. I know some other cities are planning private car bans in the future, ( eg Oxford)

decrease uses of fossil fuel, massive decrease in pollution, plus freeing up all car parking spaces for other uses, especially new residential buildings, hugely improve flood defenses, and travel time in London would halve.

Why do we allow private cars in London anyway?

TCSC47 and ShowerGel like this.
  2. Corvuscorax

It will have to happen sooner or later anyway

ShowerGel likes this.
  3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Which part of London, the square mile or the rest of it? They would need to greatly improve the tube. Last time I was in London I had to get on the tube at peak time and it was awful. What if you were travelling to another area of the uk to visit friend/family and public transport transport wasn't suitable. You would have to travel outside the banned area and either hire a car or keep your car there. What about people who have to travel for business.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

A few questions - what do you define as London? How do you know that residents are only using their cars to drive out of London? Why shouldn't I be allowed to drive into the capitol (on a Sunday, as it happens) to move my daughter (& possessions) from one flat to another - she doesn't drive by the way.

5. Corvuscorax

all of it. We would need at least double the number of buses

ShowerGel likes this.
  6. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Out of interest, what do each of these categories contribute to the percentages of the current traffic, compared to private cars?

Would residents be allowed to ‘stop off somewhere ‘ on ‘their way out’ of London.

7. Corvuscorax

Apparently private cars are the vast majority of traffic I see in London. 95%+, without disabled badges or taxi Id.

The difference between travelling by taxi/minicab and private car is the parking space.

25 people travel in private cars at different times of the day, 25 parking spaces needed in London.

25 people travel in the same minicab at different times of the day, 1 parking space needed.

24 parking spaces saved. An area the size of 12 parking spaces for green space and drainage. An area the size of 12 parking spaces for living accommodation. 2-4 families with children.

This is an over simplification, obviously, just for illustrative purposes.

ShowerGel likes this.
  8. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

There are many people who don't qualify for a disabled badge but have some mobility difficulties. The Tube is great if you can go up and down stairs easily, but that isn't everyone.

9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

A walk to the bus stop has been too far for me at various times. How about subsidising taxis? £1 flat fare for public transport? Either you want to save the planet or you don't.

Lara mfl 05 and Corvuscorax like this.
  10. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Perhaps we should ban people living in London *tongue in cheek... After all their good and services use vehicles to meet that demand...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Are cars not banned from Oxford Street and yet it is one of the most polluted roads and areas on Earth?

If you don't ban everyone, those you give free lunches to will want more free lunches. I would fear just many more taxi cabs, busses and a surprising amount of newly disabled drivers.

I think the only solution is to have more absolute all vehicle free areas - areas only open to pedestrians.

Lara mfl 05 and Kandahar like this.
  12. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

You could get the same effect by only allowing diesel vehicles.

Kandahar likes this.
  13. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Why do you want Londoners to be banned from driving cars but not the people of Manchester and Chipping Norton?

14. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Ban all cars from all city centres. I am all for that.
    Replace with good public transport.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Nuke all cities! Sorted! ;) (Well except Chester)

needabreak and nomad like this.
  16. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Less than a third of London workers rely on a car or van to get in. The tube does come in a close second, with more than fifth of workers using the underground. Then comes the bus and the train, followed by walking, and cycling (around 4% get on their bike). More than twice as many people walk than cycle (stats are a few years out of date).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25175752

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Its totally useless if you have to commute to a destination at 90 degrees from Central London

JL48 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Currently in the big smoke in our private car working in a school. No way could we transport our kit by public transport, or cheaply by taxi. Took 50 minutes to drive 5 miles from the motel this morning. Does that make us a work vehicle?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Hover craft would be ideal if they can pick us up in outer London and deposit use where we want in central London.
    As for tubes ugh I use them. My wife struggles to get on a bus and they rarely run on time.Of late some of the outer London buses sem to be holding hands as they have 2 arriving at the same time!
    I suppose we could build a new capital in Birmingham or Manchester and then all the folk will move there. Save crowding on the tubes.

JL48 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

You are joking, I hope! Hovercraft were incredibly noisy and very fuel inefficient. Terribly for the environment!