1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Let's all plan my lunch party!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by cosmos, May 29, 2011.

1. I have 10 people coming to lunch on Tuesday. Rather than do one main course with veg, tatties etc, I'd like to do about 6 dishes, or more, rather tapas -y if you like.
    So far I have planned: (and I'm using many of your recipes)
    kofte with chili sauce; spiced aubergines; chickpeas with spinach; moghrabieh with roasted vegetables......and now I'm stuck. I have 3 vegetarians but several commited carnivores. Should I do another meat dish?
    What else would go with my ideas so far? I'm doing baba ganoush and hummus with flatbread and olives as a "starter". All ideas gratefully received.

2. As a veggie who does not like aubergines I would suggest another veggie dish that does not have chickpeas or aubergines!
    A carb-type dish with rice, cous-cous or potato would be ideal.
    Pringles are half price in Tesco. [​IMG]

3. Good thinking chocolatebox - I am doing a chickpea and aubergine-free couscous but that doesn't seem quite enough. Hmmm. Thinking cap back on. Something eggy maybe?
    Pringles indeed [​IMG]

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

You could do a ma'ashee,rice stuffed vegetables of various sorts, eg tomatoes, onions and green peppers, good colour contrast.

5. How about Delia's fried halloumi wth lime and caper dressing? The halloumi has to be done last minute, but is so quick and is lovely with the tangy dressing. I've done this for a few lunches now and always goes down well with both veggies and meat eaters. I'll post the recipe if you fancy it.

6. I am going to do Moroccan baked eggs with red peppers. That should be easy enough and hopefully tasty. I do like the idea of halloumi but want to avoid too many last minute things. Stuffed courgettes are also on the menu now.
    I shall have enough food to feed the village at this rate!
    Hummus and baba ganoush are made - baklava next. I am really enjoying this [​IMG]

7. Final menu:
    baba ganoush and hummus with flatbreads to start, olives
    chicken thighs a la nick
    kofte with hot chili sauce a la can't remember - lapin?
    spiced aubergines a la manashee or EG? (sorry - old age memory)
    Chickpeas with spinach
    moroccan baked eggs with red peppers
    stuffed courgettes
    moghrabieh
    fattoush
    puddings: baklava (excellent suggestion lapin) and Claudia Roden's orange and almond cake

Thanks to all who suggested food - if I haven't used your ideas this time I will next esp halloumi.

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Hope you enjoy. A nice touch to these is to toast some hazelnuts and rub off their blackened skins and then add them to the roasting thighs for the last 10 minutes of cooking.

Enjoy your party!

9. No hazelnuts -would toasted flaked almonds work?

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Hmmm...I don't see why not, but I like to use whole hazelnuts as I like the texture of the whole nuts, something that would be lost slightly with the flaked almonds...it's still excellent without the nuts, mind. Would probably go without myself. Sorry to throw a little spanner into the works there!

11. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Rule of thumb in our house - if you are capable of finding and using the corkscrew, open another bottle. If not, its time to call it a night....
    Glad you had a good lunch party anyway, Cosmos. Spiced aubergines were Manashee's recipe.

12. Rule of thumb in our house - if you are capable of finding and using the corkscrew, open another bottle.
    What a sensible rule!
    Pop. Glug, glug, glug
    I shall be sorry in the morning but am enjoying myself hugely in the meantime [​IMG]

13. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Don't be sorry! You're clearly enjoying yourself - enjoy the buzz while it lasts!
    Drink for me as well - it'll be a while before I touch alcohol again! [​IMG]

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Yes, it was my recipe for kofta and hot chilli sauce, authentic Palestinian and/or Lebanese recipe. Glad you enjoyed it.