1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Let us back, you wee ageist whippernappsers!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Mrsmumbles, Jul 22, 2018.

?

Do we need a UK #letexperiencedUKteachersback campaign?

1. Yes, why are TES ignoring this, parents and kids are fully aware of the need

25 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Oh no,four supplies a term and unqualified inexperienced staff are great!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The fact that this poll exists proves that Uk teaching is stuffed

19 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Or too stupid. Usually far, far too stupid. Emotionally, intellectually and socially.

catbefriender likes this.
  2. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

As they are in special measures, they will soon legally have to reopen as part of some MAT or other. Then the school will be crawling with NQTs (give it about 6 months for all of the old staff to go), as MATs have no such restrictions.. And then for a really bad MAT in another 6 months all the NQTS will have quit and the school will be full of over-50 teachers, as they will be the only ones willing, or experienced, enough to work there.

agathamorse and JL48 like this.
  3. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

No, I hope I know better than that!

4. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I had an evening class student who started with me in September, one evening a week (typewriting) and she passed RSA 1 in January, along with others. I have discovered, years later (because we're firm friends now) that she was dyslexic at the time and learnt to type because writing was difficult. This was an amazing feat to have achieved in this short space of time, but then I had been teaching this subject for 30 years. It does make a difference.

5. Mrsmumbles

Doubt many of us will go back now. System is broken.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Mrsmumbles

Oh, and the TPS and employer funded pensions. Remember that. The system we slogged our guts out for and paid into for years has not just stabbed us 8n the back, it has stabbed, impaled and eviscerated our backs. The tryst has gone. They don’t respect us. The SLT I would be answerable to are also far younger and was experienced tha I am. So it’s hard to either trust or respect them. So it’s goodbye and thanks for...Er...nothing!

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Mrsmumbles

Yes, quite. This trend is already starting withbteavhers and doctors, plus promising young workers who want to progress their careers quickly and earn a mortgage deposit so they can own a home without crippling debts before age 50.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I rather like the word you've invented. I think children would too - so perhaps I'll be led into writing a poem on this particular subject - - - or perhaps on this lovely day, not. zzz

agathamorse and Mrsmumbles like this.
  9. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

All new teachers deserve to have experienced staff to mentor them. Many years ago, an inspection report praised my department for having a valuable mix of experience. I wouldn't especially want ONLY over 45s to be hired, but for the sake of all teachers, old or young, experienced or new-and our society- we need some of them.
    There was a 'return to nursing' drive some years ago, when they realised they'd lost all the people who knew how to nurse. Hold your breath for a 'return to teaching'. I'd do it, but from what I read on here, the SMT nowadays might not welcome my opinions as our headteachers did...

agathamorse likes this.
  10. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Imagine how SLT would hate this. The new teacher would be told how SLT's shiny new idea had been tried, and failed, 25 years ago. She would also learn how much better schools had done before the vast amount of useless admin had been piled on teachers, and before the number of non-teaching staff had grown out of control, like a cancer.

Mrsmumbles and agathamorse like this.