1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Let us back, you wee ageist whippernappsers!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Mrsmumbles, Jul 22, 2018.

?

Do we need a UK #letexperiencedUKteachersback campaign?

1. Yes, why are TES ignoring this, parents and kids are fully aware of the need

25 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Oh no,four supplies a term and unqualified inexperienced staff are great!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The fact that this poll exists proves that Uk teaching is stuffed

19 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I spoke to management in one of my special measures schools, i.e. Requires Improvement and they CAN take on NQTs in exceptional circumstances, but they are tending to get around it by taking on teachers that have just completed Induction.

My local schools spent hundreds of thousands getting rid of the oldies and a lot were my friends, and even when the government offered them £6,000 to take them back, they threw the money back in their faces. They will continue to struggle with the recruitment and retention of the young ones because that really is the national crisis. How to keep an under 30 teacher. The younger teachers I know are always moving schools, one minute they are in Southwark, then Enfield, then Tottenham, then Croydon etc, they keep moving around and it seems like every year they change - because they can.

Because they find it dead easy to get a job, I reckon they think we are damned useless and schools knowing how easy it is for them to get jobs means they are a more valued commodity, whereas with us, they can bully the hell out of us, and we have to take it until it is financially safe to leave.

And NO, I don't want to go back. I want to increase my self employment earnings and live in peace until I choose to retire and not have to grovel to some idiot everyday.

2. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

I'm on the scrapheap now after taking a few years out to have kids and hitting 40. Ironically I'm blooming desperate to get back into the classroom (at least part-time) and the experience dealing with my youngest kid's SEN has really enhanced me as a teacher.

Realistically no one's ever going to take a chance on me though. Supply it is then - the nameless, disposable teacher to be blamed for everything.

My own kids' school at least isn't full of shiny new clueless cheap NQTs - head's one of those rare ones who value experience and the school is amazing because of it.

3. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

On the flip side I am 59, UPS3 and just signed a twelve month contract in the first instance

4. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

No, it's OFSTED barring the school from appointing NQTs. They can appoint any other teacher.
    Horrible thought is that some of them may actually appoint unqualified staff instead! I'm certain that is not the idea behind the rule though.

tonymars and agathamorse like this.
  5. catbefriender

@ABCCBA123321 Hope you get what you want and you are still relatively young. Once you hit the over 45, that's when the alarm bells ring. Hope you find the perfect fit soon.:)

stonerose and agathamorse like this.
  6. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

The idea behind the rule is to protect NQTs from 'poor' institutions rather than encouraging those institutions to hire more experienced teachers. You didn't think Ofsted thought an experienced workforce was important did you?

7. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

They'd be very unlikely to approach you about the job - you are very knowledgeable (tutor 3 A-levels!), you are obviously experienced and know what you are doing. Why bother with you when they can get an inexperienced and wet behind the ears NQT but who knows all the latest edubabble and costs about £15k less to employ.

tonymars, stonerose and agathamorse like this.
  8. ABCCBA123321

Not likely to be for a while yet - need to moulder on supply for the next year or two while I get my kiddo's SEN issues and barrages of therapy and assessment appointments sorted out. I'm not hopeful or unrealistic about chances - education's a young, shiny and cheap game (and thank goodness my kids' school has older really experienced GREAT teachers still in it)

9. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Even in the supply game, where you might think being more experienced gave you an edge, as the school would be getting more for a flat rate, discrimination against older teachers abounds. Too any of the scrapheap generation trying to get a few remaining crumbs from the table, and too few of the cheap new ones.

stonerose and agathamorse like this.
  10. catbefriender

I will PM you.

11. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

I would also imagine that SLT wouldn't want an old fart like me showing up their shiny bright young things that he was covering for;).

12. ABCCBA123321

What really winds me up is knowing that very experienced, dedicated teachers are being chucked on the scrapheap and unable to get jobs in favour of the muppet bunch who post "can you send me your resources and plans please" or worse "me too" on a thread that was started in about 2010 and where the poster has long since disappeared and doesn't have a copy of "I'll take you to Mrs Cole" (wasn't that the usual Primary one a while back?)

Or the "I have an interview next week and have no idea what to do for it - someone give me basically a gold plated knock your socks off demo lesson to get the job" ones.

Yet they're the ones getting the jobs which is somewhat galling.

13. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

It's very shortsighted to not take on experienced teachers. I know that in my latter years I could get students through their examinations far faster than in my earlier years. I seemed to have got it down to a fine art, ha ha Everything improves with practice, and that includes teaching. My part-time students passed examinations the same as those on full-time courses - and this was because my teaching was better. Have the rest of you discovered this?

14. catbefriender

Oh Rosie, if your could only explain this to the blockheads that are in charge of teaching recruitment in schools.:oops: They don't seem to understand this. The older you get, the more mistakes you have learnt from and the more you know how to get them there quicker and with less anxiety for them and yourself.

The new GCSE curriculums are much harder and as you know getting a Grade 4 is around an old GCSE B minus, so children have to learn more to get a basic Grade 4 pass and you need many short cuts up your sleeves, which you pick up over the years.

Also schools are now judged by how many Grade 5s and over they got. So getting weaker students a Grade 5 is hard going.:(

The irony is, but the time these bright young hopefuls get their teaching act together and progress into the higher stages of their awesomenesses, which increases with age and practise, they will be relegated to the scrap heap.:eek:

15. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Your 'Cheap First' coinage is briliiant, by the way.

phlogiston, agathamorse and stonerose like this.
  16. Mrsmumbles

Wonder why! Indie schools have no such restriction and have gone full throttle into ageist recruitment. Last year's 'New Staff!' page of Psycho Heights looked like a frat yearbook. Actually, it probably was...

catbefriender and stonerose like this.
  17. Mrsmumbles

Madder than Maddie McMadden from Madding, by Madley-On-Madden, Frogsbox.

18. Mrsmumbles

Yep!

agathamorse likes this.
  19. Mrsmumbles

High Five!

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

The irony is that these 'blockheads' have never got to this state of practised expertise themselves, as they are either too young, or have left the classroom behind before they could achieve it.