1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Let them teach

Discussion in 'Education news' started by David Getling, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Bloomstar

Bloomstar New commenter

What is the motive behind "let them teach"?

If it's keeping the small number of foreign teachers in the UK, especially if they are experts in their fields or in languages, I'm all for it.

I'm concerned it's just a way for people to pat themselves on the back about how progressive and virtuous they are, when actually a teacher shortage is the only thing making the government tackle workload problems and schools employ experienced (and expensive) older teachers.

Increasing the supply of teachers with cheap migrant workers is only going to make things worse.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  2. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

My Return to Teach Mentor told me to knock a few points off my MPS salary to appeal to Schools for a job in Physics/Maths....

3. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Which seems to suggest that for from being a sought-after commodity, the STEM teacher has to beg for a job. I have been told that one of the things preventing me form getting a teaching job is my 'fixation on remuneration'.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Had a reply from my MP. He is at great pains to say that Let Them Teach is run by TES and has nothing to do with the Government and is not in line with Government policy. He them goes on to tell me that there are 15,500 more teachers in State schools than in 2010. He then outlines his support for the student loan re-imbursement scheme which will be aimed at Science and MFL new teachers working in deprived areas. and the new Maths bursary to be piloted with 1500 to 2000 maths trainees in the coming academic year. He also mentions the £75 million Teaching and Leadership Innovation fund and the £5 million for experienced teachers' sabbaticals. At least he replied!

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Babycakes77

Babycakes77 New commenter

I think that all teaching unions have been infiltrated. How else could they do such a pathetic, lousy job at representing teachers? Any time I have needed them (3 times across a 17 year teaching career), they have been utterly useless!!!! I wish there was an alternative I could pay more sub's for, but currently, there isn't. The unions don't work on our behalf OR do their best to put the interests of their members first!!!!

6. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

You mean you wanted to be paid a reasonable amount for the work you do and not get knocked down a point everytime you look at a job.

agathamorse and sparkleghirl like this.
  7. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I know. How naïve could I be?

agathamorse likes this.
  8. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Which unions are doing this? Are they no longer trying to make school keep, and respect, their older, experienced staff?

9. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Weirdly enough, when everyone put his age on his CV, and would-be employers were entitled you ask your age, you DIDN'T get this ageism much.

install likes this.
  10. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

You forget that schools do not recruit in professional manner, by using CVs. They expect everyone to waste hours detailing every job (and gap in employment) from the age of 18. So they always know how old an applicant is.

JohnJCazorla likes this.