1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Let them teach

Discussion in 'Education news' started by David Getling, Jul 20, 2018.

1. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

Hi David, there is a headteacher around the Barnhill area that fits that description very well.

2. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

3. thin_ice

thin_ice Occasional commenter

Rubbish.

Most of the seething jealousy and resentment I see comes from the washed-up has-beens (who I reckon never had it in the first place) posting on here.

Cue: “Oh dear. A Govebot”

4. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

The SLT said, after HE suggested I volunteer for 3 months in his school that I wasn't, 'as fresh as the graduates straight out of university.' :eek: Albeit, it was on the phone so he didn't know that I and a lot of older men and women look really younger than our age. But it's these cutting remarks that put me off returning.

I mean, how can you be so stupid and in charge of recruitment in a school?

And before any of you answer, this is a rhetorical question.o_O

5. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

I’m not surprised!
    I am dumbfounded by the way in which people treat each other.

Just imagine what would happen if a teacher took that tone with a parent.

I’d like to be more direct but the post would be a page of **********s

6. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Thing is, a lot of us are so outraged by the increasing number of rigged ageist interviews staged by kid managers who are obviously very thick and 20 years our junior, we don’t bother to apply any more. Poor students.
    , they’re missing out. I meant the kids there, not the Club 18-30 SLT at Invictorious Academy PLC

7. Mrsmumbles

Well screw that’s, I’m ending my membership. The NEU are useless and all their mag is is a whinging repetitive list of hand-wring piece son how bad teaching is. Can’t actually see much difference between Bousteds fulsome columns and the sanctimonious bilge mete day out in Heads’ ‘columns’ on their pretentious new websites. Schools are such a joke these days. All fancy window dressing and no substance. Inside,the goods are substandard, the customers are ripped off, working conditions are vile and the staff turnover colossal.

8. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Occasional commenter

If the unions opposed this, do you think they'd have a leg to stand on in the press when they're trying to challenge the government on the national staffing crisis? Of course they have to seem to support it, even if they know it's short-sighted.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  9. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Teachers pay into unions to have their interests represented, not to preserve the public image of those administrating them.

Teaching unions, get a clue or lose members. If you don't stand up for teachers then teachers may as well not bother with you.

a1976 and hammie like this.
  10. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Occasional commenter

Their public image is the only means by which they can achieve change when their members refuse to take meaningful strike action. Maintaining credibility by supporting initiatives to reduce the problems of their members is absolutely necessary (even when these initiatives are short-sighted).
    It has taken almost a decade to get the government to even acknowledge there's a staffing crisis, giving them the opportunity to wriggle out of it by opposing this campaign would give so much hard-won ground.

JohnJCazorla and hammie like this.
  11. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

This issue was not a problem for the image of the unions and their administrators. The unions should not have swallowed the bait of this campaign, TES having no presence in public opinion and not being a political force.

The unions need to maintain credibility among those who pay them subs, first and foremost. Pushing for teaching to be recognised as a shortage profession is to do the reverse.

This is a battle which does not need to be fought and which will leave teachers worse off in the long run if, as TES wants, schools can simply fly in foreign teachers who will undercut wages and undermine collective bargaining for teachers who do belong to these unions.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  12. Jolly_Roger15

What a nasty piece of work!

13. Jolly_Roger15

Many of us have had similar experiences. The line fed to me is that 'as I have been out of the classroom for a while, it would be fairer on me if I finished off the term on a voluntary basis, after which my suitability would be reviewed'.

@David Getling: the demand of having recent experience was not for a teaching job but to gain access to courses run by the Return to Teaching agency. If its purpose is to get teachers back into the classroom such a criterion defeats the object. Catch-22: to get on the course you need experience; to get experience you have to have been on the course.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  14. a1976

Uh, I do believe I have had the pleasure of working with the_ice and you're right, this person is indeed, a nasty piece of work.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. a1976

I've cancelled my union membership and will NOT join another one. They are just as corrupt as SLT. The solution to the problem in education: Get out of it and let it fail.

16. Mrsmumbles

Shhh, don’t give away my novel’s plot!

17. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Yes, I agree with you. And the TES campaign is totally misplaced and doing teachers in the UK a real disservice as well. Do we really want to farm out education to cheap foreigners like we farmed out call centres to India etc, just because it saves money? There ARE plenty of excellent British teachers about and yes, a lot of them are older. But that means they have experience and can filter through the endless stupid ideas they've seen many times before. This campaign is not helping the dreadful decline of UK education.

Perhaps we should ask Mr Ramsey if he could help out. I'm sure he would, at a price.

https://www.tes.com/news/academy-chain-spends-ps440000-deals-firms-run-ceo-and-his-daughter

18. a1976

There is an old saying which goes like this:
    "You get, what you pay for."

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Anyone that sets foot in a school without being a member of a teaching union is a fool

20. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

But, if you are a white, middle class male you will probably find that your union has as much bite as a castrated poodle.

a1976 likes this.