1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Let them teach

Discussion in 'Education news' started by David Getling, Jul 20, 2018.

1. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Am I the only one who is opposed to this campaign?

I certainly seem to be the only one replying to the news articles to remind everyone that there are a large number of older well qualified teachers out there who schools are refusing to employ simply because they have earned the right to be at or near the top of the pay scale. And, even worse, many of those still in school are being hounded out of the classroom on trumped up capability charges.

Schools should only be allowed to consider overseas teachers after they have exhausted the supply of those in the UK. They most certainly should not be allowed to displace good teachers with cheap foreign labour. Supporting let them teach at the moment really is like turkeys voting for Christmas.

Why have so many good teachers been consigned to the scrapheap, and forgotten by MPs and TES?

hhhh, hammie, binaryhex and 9 others like this.
  2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It's two issues. Those who are here teaching and paying taxes as part of our communities should be permitted to stay and continue teaching. However, the idea that teaching should be placed on the shortage occupation list is idiotic: When foreign labour is available who can be pushed around then the government will not be motivated to fix the existing problems of teacher retention & recruitment.

Frankly I do not see why this is any business of TES and I wonder who has inspired them to this lobby.

3. David Getling

Yes, Vince, I wouldn't kick out those who are already here. What disgusts me is the way tales of such people, being kicked out, with the traumatic effect on both them and their students, are being used to support putting teaching on the occupational shortage list. Using these victims, to encourage lobbying for cheap labour, is both underhand and immoral.

4. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

There's also those teachers who took time out of the classroom while their kids were young who are finding it nigh-on impossible to get back into it as well. I think we need to look at those sources for teachers as well because I sure as hell feel forgotten - and then I keep on getting Get Into Teaching ads popping up on my facebook feed which is somewhat rage inducing (the average Get Into Teaching ad with a class of about 5 shiny-faced, suitably ethnically mixed and containing at least one disabled child in-shot, kids is normally rage inducing anyway)

5. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I also wonder. It should be hashtag ‘Let Them Back!’

6. teachntravel

teachntravel New commenter

They are only allowed to consider overseas teachers after they have exhausted the supply in the UK. In order to be granted a sponsorship license currently, schools have to prove there were no EU or UK applicants for the job they are advertising in order to then apply for a certificate of sponsorship for a non-EU citizen.
    The articles don't do a great job in explaining it, but it certainly isn't as easy as people think.

chelsea2, colpee and SomethingWicked like this.
  7. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

Well I've cancelled my membership with my union because they support this #Letthemteach. I think it is a slap in the face of those who have been driven out by corrupt SLT and governors. There are too many 'hipsters' in the classroom as well. If someone is over the age of 40, forget about it, you will not be hired at too many schools here in the UK.

8. andrew07

I have never seen so much pandering to millenials, illegal immigrants, special groups, etc. No wonder this country is the laughing stock of the world!

Okay, what is wrong with the UK training its own teachers? Also, this is a slap in the face of those who have been driven out because of corrupt SLTs because they are over the age of 40. Instead of #letthemteach, how about #letthembackintotheclassroom.

This is a terrible idea and do not see why this is the TES's business. I've emailed my MP to express my concerns about this and have also shared this with many people on facebook. No, I will not sign your petition and have cancelled my union membership because they are supporting this. There would be no teaching shortage if conditions were improved. But strangely, bringing overseas millenials over to flood the teaching "profession" and creating the need for more houses in an already full country, seems to be more of an issue.

9. andrew07

And the response I got from my union after emailing them telling them I am cancelling...

Thank you for your email. I will forward it to our regional centre today.
    Kind regards
    NASUWT

10. andrew07

Yes, but Letthemteach wants to make teaching a 'shortage occupation' which means schools hire overseas teachers, apply for a sponsorship license, and get it, no advertising necessary because it is a shortage occupation.

11. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

@andrew07 I understand your sentiments in leaving your union, but please join another and soon. With the stuff that goes on in schools, you certainly need to be in one.

I too am disgusted that our unions and MPs care more about overseas teachers than us right here in the UK.

335,000 qualified teachers not in schools, of them 100,000 NQTs still to start inductions and no unions campaigning for UK teachers out of work.:(

12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Does anyone know if the NEU are supporting this?

13. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Looks like it:

'Kevin Courtney, joint general secretary of the NEU teaching union, said: “Teacher recruitment and retention problems are growing and impacting on children’s education.

"Many heads are now facing having to lose teachers from overseas who have to leave because their visa has run out. This makes no sense. The government needs to change the regulations.”

And Mary Bousted, joint general secretary of the NEU, added: "The fact that schools cannot keep on valuable members of staff because they can't get visas when there's no replacement is just a nonsense."
    '
    TES.com, 25th June 2018.

Scintillant likes this.
  14. David Getling

With so many UK teachers out of work I find it very hard to believe that these schools receive no applicants. I suspect one of two things:
    1. The job has not been properly advertised, so that prospective UK tutors could see it, or even advertised at all.
    2. More likely, applications that SLT didn't like have been quietly binned and the school has then lied about not being able to find a UK (or EU) teacher.
    Do MPs and unions seriously believe that all those out of work teachers are living the life of Riley and not bothering to apply for positions? If a list of schools who had employed overseas teachers on the basis of no UK applicants was made public I'm fairly sure the courts would grind to a halt due to all the head teachers being prosecuted. Perhaps, under the freedom of information act, such a list could be obtained.

15. andrew07

I'm leaving the profession in January and if something arises, I'll just hire a lawyer. What goes on in schools and what the unions permit and, the hypocrisy of the unions is demonic.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

It is not just you David, I cancelled the popup about this immediately before I saw this thread.

As long as the problem of recruiting teachers is partially ameliorated by having teachers from overseas then they will continue to undervalue and underpay teachers in the UK.

I agree totally agree with post #1 that there are many UK teachers who have worked their way up the teachers’ payscale. The government used academies to rob many teachers of both their accrued redundancy years and their jobs. MAT are routinely mainly recruiting NQT so that the top brass can earn huge salaries in the 100 of thousands of pounds p.a.
    I do not agree with it being

These non-uk teachers have my sympathies. But there plenty of other countries with lots of vacancies for teachers.

There are many issues in the “business” of teaching. I do not think the TES should be championing this cause considering they have been silent in the past. Particularly the closures of many of the PRU, the de-professionalising of the occupation when the government removed the stipulation that you had to be a qualified teacher to teach…

17. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

Join EDAPT. This is not a union but provides legal support and representation for teachers. A considerably cheaper option than hiring a lawyer on a retainer.

Check home insurance to see if it includes free legal cover too.

18. install

install Star commenter

It seems to be not just about money - but 'ageism' too. There are a fair few who have tried to come into teaching atca later stage in their lives only to be met with : 'You are a bit old ?'

agathamorse and peter12171 like this.
  19. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Despite all evidence to the contrary I'd like to think our democracy works sometimes. (I spent a while working in local government and I know that you can protest until you're blue in the face, but if your MP raises a concern on your behalf, action is immediate.)

I'd suggest as many of us as possible contact our own MPs and also the Minister for Education (is this still damian hinds or was it part of the musical chairs after Chequers last week?)

Local & national press to embarrass the govt and schools and let parents know that this is NOT about shortage, this is about schools looking to keep costs low at the expense of continuity and experience.

How to contact your MP here https://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/contact-your-mp/
    email directory here https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/

agathamorse likes this.
  20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I assume that these overseas teachers join the union and so are entitled to their support?