1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“Let Our Teachers Be Heroes”

Discussion in 'News' started by MacGuyver, May 15, 2020.

1. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

This is the headline in the front page of today’s Daily Mail.

I’m not a hero nor do I have any wish to be one. I just want to go back to work when I can be confident I won’t catch anything or carry it home to my family.

I want to feel confident that when I send my child back to year 1 that they will be safe.

Attached Files:

2. SpideyClaire

SpideyClaire New commenter

If it was safe we wouldn't have to be heroes. We'd just be doing the job.

3. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

It should read “let our teachers be martyrs”

4. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Exactly, SpideyClaire - just as you say - if we knew that schools were safe to work in, we wouldn't need to be heroes, we'd be teachers, and the fact they're calling us heroes exposes the danger they know we'll face.

After all, it's not heroic to die stupidly. However, heroism can involve standing up to bullies.

steely1, stonerose, mightyb and 4 others like this.
  5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

DULCE ET DECORUM EST PRO PATRIA MORI ?
    Nothing right or sweet about this at all.

steely1, Iulbahar, stonerose and 2 others like this.
  6. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

The graveyard is full of heroes.

tonymars, steely1, stonerose and 2 others like this.
  7. RossOnderbrook

RossOnderbrook New commenter

The real heroes are those who stand up for what they know is true and right, despite being bullied and coerced by powerful people (and their pals in the media).

steely1, MarieAnn18, ACOYEAR8 and 8 others like this.
  8. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice Occasional commenter

I think this front page is very pertinent- teachers have a real opportunity here to demonstrate that they are in touch with the public mood and ‘working for their wage’ so to speak by returning to work in a safe and phased manner along with the rest of the country.

I have a real fear that the unions’ intransigence could easily turn the public against teachers and that would be the last thing I’m sure any of us would want to see.

9. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe New commenter

You must have wrote the front page - it suits your delusional modus operandi. You need to check out the comments because it appears for the first time in history that the Mail and Guardian commenters are in broad agreement. Unfortunately, they don't agree with you..... What a pity.

Rachelmbx, steely1, phutcho and 5 others like this.
  10. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

I’ve added emphasis to your original post.

As @SpideyClaire said, if it was safe to return to work then we wouldn’t need to be heroes.

When my school presents a risk assessment plan that is detailed and addresses all my concerns about my safety and the safety of my students, then I’ll be happy to return to work.

My child’s school will need to do the same before I send him back.

MarieAnn18, steely1, phutcho and 7 others like this.
  11. JanE60

JanE60 New commenter

PM and his cronies - what exactly IS their experience of a classroom? 10 boys in a spacious room with wide Victorian corridors? They have NO idea what they're talking about. In many primary schools it is impossible to go from classroom to staffroom or toilet and keep a distance from other adults. Then there are the children...

Supplylady, steely1, phutcho and 6 others like this.
  12. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

DBA5DBC7-344C-4FC6-B580-1C78EE48F419.jpeg

I think this demonstrates quite clearly why we don’t need to be giving the daily mail any sort of platform

steely1 likes this.
  13. RossOnderbrook

RossOnderbrook New commenter

Maybe the headteacher needs to get out of his/her office a bit more often and spend time with the little germ machines that inhabit the rest of the school.

steely1, phutcho, stonerose and 2 others like this.
  14. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

I'd like to know which teachers they found who are desperate to get back to the classroom but are being prevented by the unions. I'm like to check their medication.

15. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

"On Friday, Gavin Williamson, the education secretary, wrote of the need for teachers to “do their duty”(The Guardian). An interesting choice of words.

16. install

install Star commenter

Yet another wind up imho :rolleyes:

steely1, stonerose and phutcho like this.
  17. install

install Star commenter

When MPs meet in large groups in the House of Commons again, then the country will know its time to return.

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

idlp56, Sally006, pdilmaghani and 8 others like this.
  18. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

I don't know who has written it (though I could google it)-but what about the fact that we are ALREADY heroes for teaching the vulnerable for seven weeks while many people stay at home doing nothing-and that teachers have already died/been seriously ill from Covid?
    Private schools/ schools in other countries might well have children who are more likely to obey instructions about social distancing than many of our primary students.

stonerose and Catgirl1964 like this.
  19. Romoletto

Romoletto Occasional commenter

I don’t know if anyone has seen Nick Ferrari’s exchange with a Mr Jerry Glazier (NEU), but Nick kept referring to the fact that other European nations had reopened their schools or not closed them on the first place.

Just wondering if anyone has any view on this line of reasoning or even if there is any info on the methodology being implemented in those countries, as I feel that it may have some bearing on the debate and public opinion too, but haven’t seen any information on how the schools are operating and the affect it has had on the rate of infections.

20. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

The Daily Mail failed anyway, photo should show teacher & children socially distanced :D:p;)